PDA

View Full Version : True Steelhead fish story........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
One of our good Spey buddies from the Bay Area, Mark Z, likes to come over to Sacramento and do some Spey casting on the Lower American River and then come by our shop after words on some of his days off work.

He called us yesterday to tell us he was going to buy himself a new 13'4" #7 line Burheimer Spey rod for Christmas so we put his name on one.

Today he came by to pick it up and Doug Duncan set him up with a NextCast Winter Authority line, slow sinking tip and Silver Hilton fly.

He consulted Andy and Doug about where he might 'break it in' (HA HA) this afternoon on the American.

Crazy thing, he called us from the river where he had hooked and landed a chrome 10# Buck that got him out into his backing.....

Maybe we should all get down to the Lower American River?

Mark Kranhold
12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Right place at the right time Mr. Bill! Was on the river today and saw one landed on a hot shot ( Mikey) and another hooked and lost on row! Fished 5 hrs 3 runs ...noda! Rain ..rain ..rain!

DAVID95670
12-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I fished the crap out of two runs, sun up then again sun down. Nothing not a tug, saw no one catch anything.

Yep nadda

Ben J
12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Sweet! I had a similar experience when I bought my VXP 5120 from Kiene's a couple of years ago. Cruising back home on 299 and decided to try my new rod on a run near Douglas City just before dark. Sure enough, nailed a hatchery hen within the first few casts! Is there some mojo to fishing a spey on purchase day? maybe!

bassakwards
12-31-2013, 08:54 AM
So the moral of the story is buy your rod from the shop, catch a fish. Next dry spell I’ll need to use that as my excuse to get a new rod.