PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek

Nor*Cal
12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I have never fished putah before and have heard different things from different people. First off, I am fully aware that it’s a 0 bag limit and barbless artificial lure only zone. I don’t keep trout anyway unless they are planters in a lake.

Anyway, I’m just wondering if anybody has any tips on fishing anything from Solano on up?

Where should I start or which place would give me the best chance to catch some fish?

Cheers,

ICE
12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Check out this site / forum
http://putahcreekflyfishing.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=65954

And don't for get your can o worms

Good Luck
ICE

Bob Loblaw
12-17-2013, 05:52 PM
I fish Putah about once a month because its close to home. A few things you need to know.

1. Don't fish it until the Spring. Putah trout spawn in the winter when the flows are very low.
2. Its a really tough place to catch fish. They get a lot of pressure and are very smart indeed. You really need to know what you are doing in order to catch fish regularly. I've been fishing it for 4 years and its just this last year I'm beginning to avoid regular skunkings.
3. Its a really tough creek to get around. Lots of bramble bushes, deep mud, and dense trees that eat gear. You will lose a lot of flies.
4. There are New Zealand mud snails, so freeze your gear after fishing.

Go on Google maps and the satellite image will tell you the best places to fish. The Creek parallels the road.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
During the warm months they run the flow on Putah Creek pretty high for agriculture.

In the winter it is running very low.

Rainbows spawn in the winter so stay away from the upper mile or so of the river so they can have some peace.

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/putah-creek/

Brown trout run up from Lake Solano to spawn.

You can fish the lake year round by edge wading or floating in a float tube, pontoon boat, kayak, canoe or small pram. No motors....

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/solano-lake/

Nor*Cal
12-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Fantastic information, thanks Gentlemen!!

Sammy
12-18-2013, 12:54 PM
If you even mention going fishing right now on the putah board, be prepared for a world of shit. :) Very protective fisherman, which is understandable. If you absolutely want to go fish it right now just be very careful to stay off the redds. Often times they are marked with a sign. Don't leave any valuables in your car, like at all. Almost better to just leave a window down.

Tough fishing but can be extremely rewarding as there are some monsters in there. My first fish, and last, was a 20 inch bow. I don't fish putah anymore cuz it is a bit of a trek for me to just do a day of fishing. Really got to put in the time there.

Nor*Cal
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
If you even mention going fishing right now on the putah board, be prepared for a world of shit. :) Very protective fisherman, which is understandable. If you absolutely want to go fish it right now just be very careful to stay off the redds. Often times they are marked with a sign. Don't leave any valuables in your car, like at all. Almost better to just leave a window down.

Tough fishing but can be extremely rewarding as there are some monsters in there. My first fish, and last, was a 20 inch bow. I don't fish putah anymore cuz it is a bit of a trek for me to just do a day of fishing. Really got to put in the time there.

Sammy, thanks! The car info is good to know!! So its a bad area for break ins? Can you park inside of that lake solano park so that your car will be safe or is it pretty unsafe there too??

I made an account on the putah board and nobody ever responded to my questions so I just erased my account. Good to know that people are that protective about it! maybe i will just wait until next spring. I just wanted to try to get into some fish right now and that's the only place close to me that is still open.

roywest
12-18-2013, 09:09 PM
To be fair, the Putah "Friends" group does a ton of heavy lifting as volunteers, from picking up trash to educating the public to assisting with fish surveys to fundraising to lobbying for environmental protection of the fishery. These are mostly folks who really love this fishery and devote enormous energy to improving it for all of us, beginners and experts alike.

Sammy
12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Sammy, thanks! The car info is good to know!! So its a bad area for break ins? Can you park inside of that lake solano park so that your car will be safe or is it pretty unsafe there too??

I made an account on the putah board and nobody ever responded to my questions so I just erased my account. Good to know that people are that protective about it! maybe i will just wait until next spring. I just wanted to try to get into some fish right now and that's the only place close to me that is still open.

Couldn't tell you about the lake parking, but generally speaking none of that area is very safe for your car. You should reopen your putah creek acct on that other forum. I'm a member there also, and yes, most of those regulars are tight lipped but you CAN browse through old threads and probably get all the info you need. They will often report suspicious people, mountain lion sightings, car break ins, redds, etc.. so it's worth visiting once a week.

I wouldn't get down on you for fishing at this time. Just stay off the redds and don't fish them. Don't bring your 3wt with 7x and if you are lucky to catch a fish just practice your best catch and release. It's a pretty cool spot man! If i recall there is a thread somewhere on the putah forum about ghost sightings on the river. Kinda fun.

Nor*Cal
12-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Couldn't tell you about the lake parking, but generally speaking none of that area is very safe for your car. You should reopen your putah creek acct on that other forum. I'm a member there also, and yes, most of those regulars are tight lipped but you CAN browse through old threads and probably get all the info you need. They will often report suspicious people, mountain lion sightings, car break ins, redds, etc.. so it's worth visiting once a week.

I wouldn't get down on you for fishing at this time. Just stay off the redds and don't fish them. Don't bring your 3wt with 7x and if you are lucky to catch a fish just practice your best catch and release. It's a pretty cool spot man! If i recall there is a thread somewhere on the putah forum about ghost sightings on the river. Kinda fun.

Thanks for all the info, man! I appreciate it. I will report when i end up going.