PDA

View Full Version : Other types of fish...

Nor*Cal
12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Steelhead/salmon, stripers, shad and trout. Great selection! I know you all are a distinguished bunch but do any of you usually fly fish for other types of fish besides these? I’m talking Largemouth bass, small mouth bass, crappie, bluegill carp?

If so, how do you like it?

If not, why??

Cheers,

Nor*Cal
12-17-2013, 02:41 PM
** Ulterior motive: heard some negative things about fly fishing for Largemouth bass and just wanted to see if you all shared these thoughts or not...

Cheers,

Scott V
12-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I fish for anything that swims in the water and is legal. Bass are one of my all time favorites, especially large mouth!

Darian
12-17-2013, 04:46 PM
IMO "....heard some negative things about...." doesn't seem to rise to the need to be concerned. There's almost no way to respond to a vague generalization like that. Of course, if I was trying to keep others from crowding in on my fishing, maybe that would be a good way to keep them away. ;)

Just grab a rod, line, bass bug and go find out for yourself. :cool:

BillB
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Juan, there's nothing quite like the explosion a LMB will put on a bass bug. As Darian says "give it a try". You won't be disappointed. Maybe surprised! Oh, maybe this is where I'm supposed to say, "Na, bass are like fishing for goldfish."

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Many of us like to fly fish for anything that seems to take a fly.

We have categories for different fisheries here on our message board.

my63wagon
12-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I fly fish for large and small mouth bass all summer long there's nothing like catching a big bass on a fly rod

troutless
12-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Pike.

Nothing hits like a pike.

Nor*Cal
12-18-2013, 03:20 PM
IMO "....heard some negative things about...." doesn't seem to rise to the need to be concerned. There's almost no way to respond to a vague generalization like that.

The exact quote was:

"Many fly fisherman identify Largemouth Bass as being fat lazy farm pond fish that are not very sporting to catch- they essentially roll over and let you drag them in without much of a fight... Among fly fishers, Largemouths rarely get much respect..."

I just wanted to check if this was true or if fly fishers are okay with catching anything.

I personally am okay (and in fact ecstatic) to catch any type of fish on the fly rod, especially if they put up a strong fight. From my experience, Largemouth are fantastic fighters and catching a largemouth on the fly rod has become a goal of mine.

Pike.

Nothing hits like a pike.
Troutless, Where do you fish for pike? Would that be in california or elsewhere? I heard there were some in Davis lake in the past but were all eliminated from that lake.

Scott V
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
The exact quote was:
"Many fly fisherman identify Largemouth Bass as being fat lazy farm pond fish that are not very sporting to catch- they essentially roll over and let you drag them in without much of a fight... Among fly fishers, Largemouths rarely get much respect..."

You can tell who ever wrote that they have no idea what they are talking about. If bass are so lazy, then why are their millions upon millions spent each year just to catch them and no other fish.

jbird
12-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Everyone loves a great fight. But the grab is what its all about. Trout sip, bass maul... nuff said :)

Larry S
12-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Agree with all of the above. Fly fishing for smallmouth is very under-rated by some of the clue-less.
Surf fishing is a blast, as well.
Best,
Larry S

Nor*Cal
12-18-2013, 05:51 PM
You can tell who ever wrote that they have no idea what they are talking about. If bass are so lazy, then why are their millions upon millions spent each year just to catch them and no other fish.

Ha ha yes, i agree. I had never heard of Largemouth bass being described that way which is why it came as a surprise to me. Every Largemouth I ever caught put up a great fight. In fact, Largemouth are often sought after specifically because of their fight.

Everyone loves a great fight. But the grab is what its all about. Trout sip, bass maul... nuff said :)

Bass will definitely SMASH when they grab... just talking about this makes me yearn for warmer days! haha

Agree with all of the above. Fly fishing for smallmouth is very under-rated by some of the clue-less.
Surf fishing is a blast, as well.
Best,
Larry S

Larry, I have only caught two small smallmouths in my entire lifetime but I have heard that they put up a crazy fight as well. In fact I have heard that for their size, they fight better than largemouths? Anyway, I cant wait to catch large and smallmouths on the fly!

Also, are you saying you go surf fishing with a fly rod? I have never heard of that?! sounds like a blast!

Larry S
12-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Nor,
Hit the Sun Diego surf twice a week with the fly rod; waders, sinktip line, and stripping basket. if you really want to see
fly rod vs surf, check out David and Candida @ http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?31871-Off-to-Baja

Click on one photo and that should give you a slide show
Best to you and Happy Holidays,
Larry S

jbird
12-18-2013, 07:32 PM
A couple smallie videos I shot this summer. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGPzvWp3KM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQBc26t-RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmqIdfJPtDw

http://vimeo.com/73429783

my63wagon
12-18-2013, 10:12 PM
here are a couple i caught over the summer.81318132

donkeyhunter007
12-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I fish for steelhead and steelhead and sometimes steelhead and if im not fishing for steelhead than I prefer to fish for steelhead. In fact Im always fishing for steelhead I somtimes I just happen to catch other species when im fishing for steelhead

Nor*Cal
12-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Larry, and J-Bird, I'm going to have to check those out!!

here are a couple i caught over the summer.81318132

63 Wagon, nice ones! are those spots??

I fish for steelhead and steelhead and sometimes steelhead and if im not fishing for steelhead than I prefer to fish for steelhead. In fact Im always fishing for steelhead I somtimes I just happen to catch other species when im fishing for steelhead
every try fishing for steel head? if not you should try it out! haha I will be trying for a steelhead here pretty soon!

Fly Right
12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
It's all good.......anything that tugs on a line makes me happy to be there........bass of all species and shad are among my favorites, salmonids because they live in really nice places, panfish and carp for a local fix.
Since I live near the coast salt is very attractive as well. Check out San Diego or Monterey Bay and everything in between. Salt water species have serious attitude with attention grabbing takes.
Oh BTW, goes without mentioning.......steelhead have a very special place on my list.

Nor*Cal
12-20-2013, 02:37 PM
hey fly right, what weight rod and reel do you use to surf fish?

Fly Right
12-22-2013, 09:34 PM
hey fly right, what weight rod and reel do you use to surf fish?

95% of the time I use my 11-6 / 5wt switch rod with a Galvin reel. If I am fishing with a one hand rod it is usually a 9' 7wt with the same reel. I have also used a 12-6 / 6 wt spey on occasion. Overhead two hand casts with spey or switch rods using your line of choice is a very efficient and effective way to fish surf. A 270 grain shooting head with Rio slick shooter running line using any of the three aforementioned rods usually does the trick for me.

good luck
Chris

Dan LeCount
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Most largemouth usually just give you one good run and turn over. If they didn't get you snagged into some grass or a bush in that first run you usually can skate them in. They put all their energy into that one run. Compared to steelhead or other game fish they might not seem that great, but like others said, they hit flies with bad intentions and eat some pretty crazy bugs. Because of that, even with the lower endurance, LMB are one of my favorites.

The fight of a smallmouth is a totally different story. If you hooked a 5lb smallmouth to a 5lb largemouth, that smallie would drag mr greenskin behind him like he was a wakeboarder. Another really strong warmwater fish thats fun on a fly rod are carp. Theyre more challenging, since theyre spookier and you need to be pretty accurate with your casting among other things. Best of all, they'll bend your 8wt all the way over.