PDA

View Full Version : Are there any fish in the Yuba?

TigerLilly
12-17-2013, 09:09 AM
A friend and I enjoyed a wonderful bluebird day fishing the Lower Yuba in tee shirts! Tried everything but grenades. Caught exactly no fish. Heard rumor of a guide getting a very few on deeeeep nymphs and indis. Seemed everyone else was sharing our success rate. A very few ragged salmon wallowing around. Water looks perfect. A tiny sprinkle of mayflies but no rises.
Yesterday went to Lower Sac and both of us hooked up within 15 minutes fishing the same stuff as we did all day on the Y. What goes on with those gold country fish? I've had some great days there but the Y routinely seems like the most discouraging place to fish in the Valley.

M Duper
12-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I go to the Yuba with a fly rod and box of flies and watch the water work. Take another walk. Stop, watch some more. Take another walk and watch a bit more Stop, eat lunch. And then watch some more. I always learn something when i do that....

amoeba
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
A friend and I enjoyed a wonderful bluebird day fishing the Lower Yuba in tee shirts! Tried everything but grenades. Caught exactly no fish. Heard rumor of a guide getting a very few on deeeeep nymphs and indis. Seemed everyone else was sharing our success rate. A very few ragged salmon wallowing around. Water looks perfect. A tiny sprinkle of mayflies but no rises.
Yesterday went to Lower Sac and both of us hooked up within 15 minutes fishing the same stuff as we did all day on the Y. What goes on with those gold country fish? I've had some great days there but the Y routinely seems like the most discouraging place to fish in the Valley.

To answer your question as to "what goes on...?":

1. fishing pressure/clear skies/low water on the Yuba = picky fish. It has a fair amount of fish, but it isn't the lower Sac in terms of numbers or size of the system. It gets pounded and then some.
2. there are fish there, at times they may not bite for you or anybody else. hatch/conditions/fish action, varies daily.
3. frequent reports on this website by a lone guide about 20-fish days, hawking discounts does not = reality. You don't see any of clients verifying those numbers, do you? Take it FWIW, considering the source.

DAVID95670
12-20-2013, 02:19 PM
i heard it best from an old guy at The Flyshop, guides and flyshops perpetuate the myths of steelhead and in this case trout. Just look at bill kiene's posts hahahahahaha

cyama
12-20-2013, 10:26 PM
No bullshit on that boat.
"3. frequent reports on this website by a lone guide about 20-fish days, hawking discounts does not = reality. You don't see any of clients verifying those numbers, do you? Take it FWIW, considering the source."
I can verify that there is no bullshit on that boat or from that great guide. I can also verify that hooking 20-25 fish is a normal day. He knows his rivers and is a great guy and guide.
That said the Yuba is pretty slow if you are on foot. There are people floating from YOA down to the bridge. Some areas are better than others if you know where to go.... There are an unusual amount of fin clipped steelhead being hooked on the Yuba.

Hogan Brown
12-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Tiger Lilly don't get discouraged on the Yuba it is a tough river to wade fish. I was born and raised on it and it is not an easy wade fishery. It is deceptively wader friendly even at the low winter flows we have now. As a guide in a boat I expect 10-20+ fish most days but there are days I scratch out 5 and days I hammer out 20++ so it all equals out in the end. The river has about 900 fish per pile is what I have always heard but I have no scientific reference for this other then it has always seemed about right to me. Fish are sensitive to hatches, weather, flows, and all the normal things but if you know where they like to be at various flows in various conditions you can string some consistency together with your catch rate. It takes a long time to learn that river on foot and where to be when. Guides in boats have a huge advantage no matter what the flow based on the amount of water they can cover in a day.

Dan LeCount
12-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Pay attention to stream flow and water temperature. Its has a huge influence on where the fish like to hold.

peterkoistinen
12-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Pay attention to stream flow and water temperature. Its has a huge influence on where the fish like to hold.

Hi Dan,

How, specifically, do stream flow and water temperature affect where the fish like to hold?

Right now it's low and cold, so where do you guess fish the will be?

Thanks, Happy Holidays,

Pete

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-24-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't think it is fishing well right now because it is low, clear and cold with sunny weather but when it is fishing well, it can be fantastic. The fish are wild and super hot.

When it is good, on average, in the spring and fall, it can be good for those who know it.

Top drift boat guides like Bill Lowe, Keith Kaneko and Hogan Brown can get you into a nice number of strong wild fish during the good periods.

I can relate to driving there today, wading and fishing hard and getting skunked myself.

If I was in a boat with a top guide today we would get a half dozen fish even in these tough conditions.

Now remember in low water years we will be getting Skwala stones and Mark Browns in a little while, then it will be different.

If it rains a little it will perk up too.

If it rains a lot we are screwed.............

Right now try the Lower Sac, Lower Feather and Lower American.

Dan LeCount
12-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi Dan,

How, specifically, do stream flow and water temperature affect where the fish like to hold?

Right now it's low and cold, so where do you guess fish the will be?

Thanks, Happy Holidays,

Pete

Fish are cold blooded creatures. So when the water temps are colder, their metabolism and energy levels go down. They'll move into slower water. They also tend to favor any warm water inflows like springs or shallow creeks with lots of sun exposure, etc. Find warm, slow water and you'll find fish. Stream flows effect current speeds. High flows will push the fish out of the main current to the sides and into eddies.(or deeper underneath the main current) Low flows will cause fish to try to find the few places with deeper water for security from predators.

amoeba
12-25-2013, 11:42 AM
"3. frequent reports on this website by a lone guide about 20-fish days, hawking discounts does not = reality. You don't see any of clients verifying those numbers, do you? Take it FWIW, considering the source."
I can verify that there is no bullshit on that boat or from that great guide. I can also verify that hooking 20-25 fish is a normal day. He knows his rivers and is a great guy and guide.
That said the Yuba is pretty slow if you are on foot. There are people floating from YOA down to the bridge. Some areas are better than others if you know where to go.... There are an unusual amount of fin clipped steelhead being hooked on the Yuba.

Ahhh, how refreshing - a loosely-monitored website which allows guide advertising outside the classified subforum as well as mild profanity? As long as we're on that tune - and I'm all for it (although this is a private website, and the owner is not subject to constitutional freedom of speech) - please permit me to respond in kind:

That boat is sinking in bullshit, and this poster can't verify anything of the kind, he was not the client that day or any other day (doesn't claim to be either). Ummm, yahhhh, in addition to the big fish numbers, and the lack of substantiating client reports, there are the frequency of "open dates" and "discounts", and so forth from literally every one of said guide's posts, suggesting that guide in question's business is, well, not so busy. Hardly a theme to instill confidence.

I also disagree with the rest of this post, regarding the slowage of fishing on foot versus a boat (foot does much better), and the frequency of fin-clipped fish (I haven't seen a one in hundreds of fish caught there over a period of 20+ years, and reports of such from anyone else, on this website forum or elsewhere are extremely uncommon). Learn to get out of a boat (better yet, add a regulation preventing fishing from a boat, ala Deschutes), cover water carefully and thoughtfully, and you will catch fish.

Nooduke
12-25-2013, 12:24 PM
"Envy is the ulcer of the soul."
- Socrates

SHigSpeed
12-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Data point:

Yuba fish from a couple years ago.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3673/11553342754_32993bdb1e_b_d.jpg

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-25-2013, 04:13 PM
"Studly fish".........

Dan LeCount
12-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I think thats one of the biggest fish Ive seen from the Yuba. Nicely done Shig!

TigerLilly
12-25-2013, 09:15 PM
amoeba- I am no Yuba pro, but do stumble into several fin-clipped fish every year. I guess only an expert like you is able to target wild trout and fish the river for over two decades without ever catching a single hatchery stray. Green with envy.

SHig, your fin-clipped pig is certainly a beaut!

cyama
12-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all. Here's a few fin clippers from the past couple of weeks. I honestly don't think it's a good thing.... If I start seeing any more I am going to bonk them and eat them. It is reallly funny to think you can catch more fish on foot than the boats. During the egg bite good guides will land up to 50 fish in a day.... Bill Lowe is my favorite guide on the Yuba as he always fishes all the water I can't get to on foot. He always fishes dries and has great ethics... He also gives great tips for the day as he is drifting by

Dan LeCount
12-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Yeppers

Bills a good dude.

SHigSpeed
12-25-2013, 11:08 PM
I think thats one of the biggest fish Ive seen from the Yuba. Nicely done Shig!
Wish it were mine, but it was caught by a friend.

:)

_SHig

TigerLilly
12-26-2013, 10:00 AM

I haven't been on this BBS long enough to know what "that" boat is, but probably every one of us have gotten different reports from clients and guides who shared the same boat on the same day. I did a guide float on the Sac and at the take out our guide was enthusiastic about what a great day we had and the other guides were just as enthused. Us sports gathered in a different group and could only listen in disbelief at what great anglers we were and how many fish we caught. Its a game as well as a business. No fishermen, especially a guide wants to be low on the list among his peers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Those fin clipped fish are probably strays from the Feather River hatchery?

Guide Bill Lowe is a class act......

Ryan
12-26-2013, 05:58 PM
I would just like to add that the "said guide" is no joke, and I highly doubt that guide is putting out any BS. If he states he's having 20 fish days I personally would believe him 100%. I've had some pretty incredible days with him before. He is definitely a class act and one of the better fisherman I know. I think bad mouthing his business and livelihood is a bit harsh for sure. Furthermore judging his guiding ability due to some open days is laughable. Nobody can independently guide 7 days a week year round here. If a guide has a fly shop behind him or the fly shop behind them, that person might get booked quite a bit more, yes. But to assume an independent guides abilities are limited because he has some open days is insane. Not looking to start a riot here, I just think this guide is not one to discredit. Sounds like maybe one of his clients had a bad day? Some days can be better than others. We all know that... Rivers can shut off sometimes on random days. Nothing is for certain when you get out there. And Hogan was nice enough to share some knowledge on the Yuba a few posts back, definitely not a guy to write off.

GreggW
12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
As someone who has only been on this board for a few years, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by most of the guides that post here. Rather than using it just as a forum to sell their services, a lot of the guides here provide information on what's working in the waters that they fish. I really appreciate this and am much more likely to hire one of them than one of the guides that just posts what he is doing this coming season or how great a day he and his sports had w/out providing any real information of value. Same goes when I am fishing and run into a guide - one that, when asked, shares information on what is working is one that I would be more likely to hire. Also, I love to see when a guide offers discounted days. If I can take advantage of one of these, I consider it a win win situation. I get to fish with a new guide and he gets to showcase his skills. Then I can decide if I want to go with him again.
Do guides embellish their reports? Most probably do, but then they wouldn't really be fishermen if they didn't. :wink::D
Bottom line: the guides that are comfortable enough with their skills to share useful information are the ones that I am much more likely to hire. The other ones, I don't even look at their posts anymore.
Gregg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2013, 08:19 PM
There is a certain kind of person who like to bash guides, fly shops, manufacturers and even other anglers......

As I said before, they probably were not breast fed.

Mark Kranhold
12-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Never a dull day on the water with Bill Lowe ! Awesome guy with a great sence of humor and will have you in stitches all day!

Hogan Brown
12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words Bill and Ryan. Also Bill thanks for making me laugh, that was pretty funny.

The Yuba is a great river with a bunch of great guides working it. The beauty of the Yuba is Ryan Johnston, Bill Lowe, Myself, and Keith all guide the river very differently and have very different styles and we all catch fish. Some days I do better, some days Bill does better, some days Ryan does better, and some days Keith does better…some days we all do great or all do poor as well….but we all catch fish and that shows how many different ways there are to catch fish on the Yuba and that they all can work on any given day, on any given run, at any given time. That is the beauty of the Yuba.

I guided it Sunday and Monday of this week and fishing was fair. Low and clear is no bueno. Sunday the fish were eating small baetis and midges so my guys were struggling setting the hook and keeping them on but we had our opportunities. Monday the fish were eating eggs so we had a much better day.

With regards to fin clipped fish I have not caught any this year yet but the last 3 or so years I have been seeing a lot more then previous years. Usually one or two a day during the fall and winter in previous years but just haven’t run into any yet this fall/winter.

TigerLilly feel free to email me at hoganbrown@hotmail.com and I would be happy to give you up to the date info on what I am seeing while guiding on the Lower Yuba or check out my blog www.hgbflyfishing.blogspot.com as I update it pretty regularly with honest reports and random dribble. Amoeba you have a free seat in my boat any time you want and all it will cost you is that you stop talking down on guides, I will even buy you a turkey sand which and a bag of chips. You can see our boats are not “sinking in bullshit”, you do catch fin clipped fish on the Yuba, and it is possible to put 20 or so fish in the boat in one day for two anglers floating roughly 6 miles of river.

Here are some fish pics from this weekend
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/IMGP1113_zpsf91547ee.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/IMGP1113_zpsf91547ee.jpg.html)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/IMGP1105_zpscd49289a.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/IMGP1105_zpscd49289a.jpg.html)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/IMGP1103_zpsec9b8351.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/IMGP1103_zpsec9b8351.jpg.html)

And some Yuba pigs from years past...
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/fullfileyubasteel.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/fullfileyubasteel.jpg.html)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/henfishside2.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/henfishside2.jpg.html)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/Finally3.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/Finally3.jpg.html)

steveg137
12-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Great post Hogan.

I've been giving yuba a go via my pontoon last 2 seasons, will definitely be getting a trip with you this winter to fast track my learning.

Been using the RHS fair bit this season, nice work!

Steve

Jed Peters
12-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I've fished with Ryan Johnson. He can put anyone on fish. 20 fish days, floating, on the Yuba, are possible if the fishing is "on".

When it's tough, a stick would have a hard time getting a dozen, from a boat.

When I fish the yuba on foot, I'm stoked to just catch a couple fish in a session (not all day).

And yes, there are clipped Feather strays that follow the salmon up river, and yes, there are pig wild steelhead (albeit not that many) that make it up the yuba to spawn in the YOA area.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/jedpeters/IMG_0887_zpsfc512c0b.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jedpeters/media/IMG_0887_zpsfc512c0b.jpg.html)

bigfly
12-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Hogan, you are a class guy.......
It's always easier to bring others down, than raise ourselves up.
Especially when it comes to not catching fish.
As guides, we see the "Fish Hero" syndrome a lot.
"If I can't catch 20 fish, then anyone who says they do, must be a fibber"... (Just one style as an example...)
(and not that we count anyway.....)
I say, get some game..Hire a pro, check ego at the door (the crux), and start learning..I believe an IPA pairs well with humble pie..
More than 20 yrs ago, I remember telling Ralph, that there were no fish in the Truckee.
The Yuba is one of my favorites, from shore or boat. Dryfly, Bobber or Streamer swing.
When I need a break from the Tuffy, the Yuba's my first choice.

HB, I may come for a ride with ya sometime....maybe pick your brain!
And I'll bring the sandwich/beverage.
Keep up the good works.

Jim

matt johnson
12-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Folks,

You may have noticed in the 2013-2014 freshwater fishing regulations that you can now harvest 2 hatchery trout/steelhead per day on the lower Yuba.

All hatchery steelhead released in CA are marked with a clipped adipose fin.

Hatchery steelhead in the Yuba are likely strays from the Feather.

I personally don't really like to "hassle" with retaining/cleaning fish, but taking hatchery fish out of wild systems like the Yuba is good river stewardship and a good way to get some healthy protein.

Keeping fish is easier if you are prepared: Keep a small ice chest in your rig or boat. You can pick up a bag of ice at a mini-mart for the drive home if you actually end up harvesting. If you are wade fishing stick a trash bag in your vest or pack. Also keep a small sharp knife on you (the knife on a Leatherman works well). Good-eating fish all starts with proper handling. Fish taste best if bled out immediately. It works best to cut the gills when the fish is still alive. I find that step to be a little brutal for my taste, so I like to cut the gills immediately after whapping the fish on the head. The heart will keep beating for a little while and that will pump most of the blood out. Once the fish is bled out you can quickly gut the fish, stick it in your trash bag, and keep fishing. Bled out and gutted it will keep fine until you are done fishing for the day. A fish that has not been bled and gutted will not be fine at the end of the day and the fish gods will be unimpressed.

Note that once you have harvested your second hatchery fish for the day you must stop fishing. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing? We fly-fishers tend to want to squeeze every drop out of the day; catching as many fish as possible (well I do anyway). Having to quit early might provide more opportunity for quiet reflection. You will definitely be reflecting on the many tasty options for preparing your fresh-caught hatchery trout/steelhead!

Amoeba you have a free seat in my boat any time you want and all it will cost you is that you stop talking down on guides, I will even buy you a turkey sand which and a bag of chips. You can see our boats are not “sinking in bullshit”, you do catch fin clipped fish on the Yuba, and it is possible to put 20 or so fish in the boat in one day for two anglers floating roughly 6 miles of river.

That is such a wonderful offer, sure to melt the heart of any scrooge during this Holiday Season! Matt

Dan LeCount
12-27-2013, 07:18 PM
And some Yuba pigs from years past...
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/hgbtrout/fullfileyubasteel.jpg (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/hgbtrout/media/fullfileyubasteel.jpg.html)

I never realized the Yuba had big adult steelhead, Ive always run into the half pounder varieties. I wonder if those big adults are Feather river or American river fish that went up the wrong way. Kind of like Big fish from the Smith ending up in the Klamath or the Trinity.

btw Hogan we still gotta do some carpin next summer.

Hogan Brown
12-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks Jim and Steve. Jim you are more then welcome to come out some time.

Matt great advice, last year Ryan J and I were seeing quite a few fin clipped fish so we started to offer clients the opportunity to take a fish home, a few took us up on it. First time in a long time I cleaned and wrapped up a fish for a client but I figured it was the right thing to do.

Dan I don't think the big adults are very common but on winters where we have good rain in Dec/Jan it seems like clients hook around half a dozen or so a winter. They may be stray feather or American fish but I never got a true "Big Adult" that was fin clipped and I tend to think, may be just wishful thinking, that like Jed said there is still a wild run of big adult fish that come up the river and spawn up by the narrows. Either way I feel very lucky to have seen a few of them caught over the years. And yes we need to hook up and Carp fish, shoot me an email or give me a call and we can put something on the calendar.

jblack
12-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Scott-- you can give me credit. I don't mind. Jarrett

Ralph
12-27-2013, 09:42 PM
I believe that almost all hatchery trout now being dumped in California are triploid (sterile) so that they don't screw up the genetics of wild fish. That being the case (I think), there really isn't any need to "cleanse" the river of them. The reason to release them might be so that they can be caught again, which, in my mind, is a pretty fair reason to do so.
Jim, back in the day there were relatively few dedicated Truckee anglers, and as far as most people were concerned the river wasn't worth fishing because it was so "hard" and there were so "few" fish. Must admit, I didn't mind that attitude! A tip of the hat is due to Dave Hickson and Dean Schubert for being a couple of the original Truckee River locksmiths. All of us stand on their shoulders.
I will attest that Hogan is a go to guy if you want to go carpin and that Bill Lowe is simply a go to guy . . . for any reason!

jblack
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I think I need to weigh in here about the guide issue or guide bashing and ameoba's insinuations. Interesting to me that guy using a pseudonym is insinuating a guide (or guides-- almost all of whom use their real names) whose boat he has never been in is making up numbers or his that his business lacks. First, I have been that boat a number of times on different rivers and know "said guide" well. No need for him to puff up numbers to sell days-- No BS there. Nor does he need every client posting (verifying ?) reports for more business and ego boost. It is not his style to make up numbers- integrity. If he says those were the numbers, those were the numbers.

As for the clipped fin issue, that picture Shig posted was my fish 24 inches and only one of many clipped fin fish I have caught on the Yuba. I could post others but will refrain. That one came from well above the 20 bridge.

I guess I would hope that people would think before they insinuate things about people, guides, and fish and fishing before they have yet to experience it.

SHigSpeed
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Scott-- you can give me credit. I don't mind. Jarrett
Lol... I was checking to see if you still knew how to post!

_SHig

Dan LeCount
12-27-2013, 10:25 PM
@ Hogan - Interesting, kind of like a separate winter run of wild fish besides the usual half pounders. That's great stuff to hear.

Mark Kranhold
12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I never realized the Yuba had big adult steelhead, Ive always run into the half pounder varieties. I wonder if those big adults are Feather river or American river fish that went up the wrong way. Kind of like Big fish from the Smith ending up in the Klamath or the Trinity.

btw Hogan we still gotta do some carpin next summer.
Nice adults!! I have heard for years that there are winter adults that travel home time to time to spawn in the Yuba ... Far and few between. With those spectacular photos , I would call it Hogans Heros guide service!! Outstanding !!!

Jed Peters
12-27-2013, 11:26 PM
I have personally hooked a very large wild adult, and have seen several other big wild steelhead hooked as well. They're there, they just mostly jet way up river and out of the "public" water.

Watching Kaneko farm one was one of the many pleasures I've had in my fishing career. Ha! ;)

Jake O
12-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I have personally hooked a very large wild adult, and have seen several other big wild steelhead hooked as well. They're there, they just mostly jet way up river and out of the "public" water.

Watching Kaneko farm one was one of the many pleasures I've had in my fishing career. Ha! ;)

I disagree about the majority of big ones jetting up. I believe most of the big ones stay below daguere at least based on my own experiences

Jed Peters
12-29-2013, 01:32 AM
I disagree about the majority of big ones jetting up. I believe most of the big ones stay below daguere at least based on my own experiences

Wouldn't argue with that; haven't fished below the dam...

mar
12-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Amoeba you have a free seat in my boat any time you want and all it will cost you is that you stop talking down on guides, I will even buy you a turkey sand which and a bag of chips. You can see our boats are not “sinking in bullshit”, you do catch fin clipped fish on the Yuba, and it is possible to put 20 or so fish in the boat in one day for two anglers floating roughly 6 miles of river.

You mean I could have gotten a free seat and lunch on your boat this past June if I did an 'amoeba' post? :D

Very classy move Hogan. Looking forward to harassing some local carp next season.

Hogan Brown
12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks Mar…start bad mouthing guides and my good friends right now and by June you may get a half day trip with a half a bologna sandwich with a half empty bag of pork rinds from the floor of my truck. Good luck carp fishen!

amoeba
12-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I think I need to weigh in here about the guide issue or guide bashing and ameoba's insinuations. Interesting to me that guy using a pseudonym is insinuating a guide (or guides-- almost all of whom use their real names) whose boat he has never been in is making up numbers or his that his business lacks. First, I have been that boat a number of times on different rivers and know "said guide" well. No need for him to puff up numbers to sell days-- No BS there. Nor does he need every client posting (verifying ?) reports for more business and ego boost. It is not his style to make up numbers- integrity. If he says those were the numbers, those were the numbers.

As for the clipped fin issue, that picture Shig posted was my fish 24 inches and only one of many clipped fin fish I have caught on the Yuba. I could post others but will refrain. That one came from well above the 20 bridge.

I guess I would hope that people would think before they insinuate things about people, guides, and fish and fishing before they have yet to experience it.

The following is fact, not an insinuation:

There hasn't yet been a post from a client of this guide .... not a one.... since his self-indulgent claim of December 11, 2013 of 25 fish "most days" (no kidding aside - this is one of his lower fish number claims). Really. Let's have it then. Anyone catch 25 fish with this guide on the Yuba on or around, December 11, 2013? How about anyone catching 25 fish between December 11 and December 30 (today). How about anyone at all catching 25 fish in a day during this period, guided or otherwise? How about any two people combined? Awww, what the heck....make it the whole month of December.

Let's hear it (some client reports from this past december of 25+ fish)...otherwise....the deafening silence speaks for itslef.

Scott V
12-30-2013, 03:37 PM
The following is fact, not an insinuation:

There hasn't yet been a post from a client of this guide .... not a one.... since his self-indulgent claim of December 11, 2013 of 25 fish "most days" (no kidding aside - this is one of his lower fish number claims). Really. Let's have it then. Anyone catch 25 fish with this guide on the Yuba on or around, December 11, 2013? How about anyone catching 25 fish between December 11 and December 30 (today). How about anyone at all catching 25 fish in a day during this period, guided or otherwise? How about any two people combined? Awww, what the heck....make it the whole month of December.

Let's hear it (some client reports from this past december of 25+ fish)...otherwise....the deafening silence speaks for itslef.

Who cares? It is posts like yours that I no longer post any fishing reports on here.

Jake O
12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I think most guides refer to fish "hooked" not fish catched since all they can do is put you on the fish, they cannot catch them for you. So, i would imagine the person you are referring to is talking about fish hooked not landed. Now i will say that i have never fully understood how a guide determines what is a fish "hooked" and what isnt. Is a "fishy" looking take a hook? I for one sometimes cannot tell for certain if a certain tug is a take or not unless i actually feel the fish.

25 fish hooked is not impossible on the Yuba if you happen to find a pod of fish feeding on eggs, but i will say that the Y has been pretty damn stubborn this month.

Fly Guy Dave
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Your proposition won't work. Please follow this: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/55-argument-from-silence

...and now give it a rest and let's stop hijacking this thread. :)

amoeba
12-30-2013, 07:49 PM
If anyone claims to truely have caught 25 fish in one day on the Yuba this past December, I'm sure that a first hand report would generate some interesting further discussion. Until then, I stand by original reply (post #3) without modification.

cyama
12-30-2013, 09:54 PM
During the first two weeks of december I was hooking 10-12 fish and landing 5-6 fish per half day (about 3-4 hours). I was surprised that there were very few people on the river. It was pretty cold! For two people in a boat fishing all day that would equal about 40-48 fish hooked and 20-24 fish landed. The original post said about 20ish fish hooked, so I know and several other people know it is not that hard to hook 8-10 fish per day in early December. The guides backrow above the bridge and can easily hook 10-15 fish in the first hour of fishing before you even suit up....

Rossflyguy
12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I caught 25 fish yesterday. You can't call me a liar cause you have no proof that I didn't. Maybe no one wants to post it cause there'd be a heard of fisherman like yourself or to read your ignorant comments. Keep your negativity to yourself.

JasonB
12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
If anyone claims to truely have caught 25 fish in one day on the Yuba this past December, I'm sure that a first hand report would generate some interesting further discussion. Until then, I stand by original reply (post #3) without modification.

I think you've made your point abundantly clear to all, no need to holler any more about "said guide" or this number or that number of fish on "said dates" . Rather than asking for second hand reports, why not take Hogan up on his offer and make your own? I thought that was a rather classy move on Hogan's part; perhaps if you took him up on it this drama could be laid to rest.

Personally, I could care less how many fish a guided boat lands on any given day on any given river... it will likely have very little relationship to how many fish I catch the next time I go, and it most certainly will have even less relationship to how much I enjoy my next outing. Honestly I could care less how many fish get posted (or claimed) on anyones "reports", but I do enjoy living vicariously a bit now and then when I can't get out on the water.

When I read a report the numbers posted usually kind of get lost on me, as I'm just not that interested or concerned with that. I actually find it very ironic how obsessed people sometimes get with the "numbers", when to me the whole fly fishing experience is so much more abstract, dynamic, and fulfilling in such a non mathematical manner. But that's just me... and I hardly ever catch much on the Yuba, of course I hardly ever fish it either. Go figure.
JB

amoeba
12-31-2013, 01:25 PM
I think you've made your point abundantly clear to all, no need to holler any more about "said guide" or this number or that number of fish on "said dates" . Rather than asking for second hand reports, why not take Hogan up on his offer and make your own? ...
JB

Apparently you didn't quite understand my point - since you think I was asking for a second hand report - which I was not:

I want to see a first-hand report of anyone who caught, ummm, lemme remember the term "20-ish", fish in a day on the Yuba in December 2013. I wasn't the person who claimed it - the guide was. When I asked for verification from any client, or anyone else that caught this number of fish there this past month, this was followed by a series of usuals, pronouncing the guides numbers real -with no stated basis. They didn't catch the fish. Neither did I. Hence - the "first-hand" is the hand that cast the rod, the hand that hooked the fish and brought it to hand. It is that party whom I requested to post. I hope this post adequately clarifies the definition of "first-hand" to you. Please have a nice day.

Dan LeCount
12-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I think we all do it somewhat, but constantly counting fish and comparing size against other peoples fish can be somewhat petty. It detracts from what this pastime is about. When people ask me, I give a rough number, but its not like I keep a counter on my hip and click it every time someone hooks up. Or break out the tape measure every time someone gets a big one. When people ask me, I eyeball it, say "its around 18", its around 24" etc." or say "we got 4 or 5 decent ones on some emergers and some little wild fish in some riffles" or whatever and call it good.

Catching 20 fish in the wintertime happens quite a bit on some rivers. Fish tend to pod up in certain water types more. You just have to find them. I've had days on the East Walker in December where I've caught fish almost every cast, all day. A friend and I together probably caught over a hundred fish, but really, who's counting at that point. It's just a lot of damn fish. If you have the right fly, and look for subtle takes, that's a big part of it. Mostly though, you can target certain water types to produce numbers, just like you can target certain water types to produce larger fish.

Btw, I have no idea which guide you're talking about, but why does it matter so much to you what he claims? If he claims a bunch of fish, when his clients hear about that and hire him, then catch 1 fish, his false advertising will backfire. They will tell their friends/fly shop etc. that fishing was a lot slower then promised and it will all work out in the end.

TyV
12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Amoeba, you have made your point very clear and not one other post that I read has backed you up. Then Hogan offered you a free trip to step above the conversation. That says a lot about him, and a lot more about you that you continue to rant after he extended his hand to someone that clearly doesn't deserve it!

From this post I have gained two things: a huge amount respect for Hogan and none for you...

While Hogan and others may or may not have embellished their reports, this post has magnified with whom class lies in the discussion.

Fish ON

Rossflyguy
01-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Is there any way to delete Amoeba? He's such a buzz kill.

bigfly
01-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Once, I was the caretaker of a pay-to-play pond.
There was a guy who came up every Thursday to fish.
He had a clicker mounted on his tube, counting every fish he caught. (What I call "Consumer style".)
One day, he told me he thought the lake wasn't fishing as well.
Thought maybe it wasn't worth his money/time....
I'm not a very competitive guy, mostly...
But I figured the only way he would learn his error, was to show him.....(Think free empty boat seat....)
So I stuck a couple that were big enough for him to see, from across the pond.
Just to let him know, it wasn't the fish, but his fishing ability that was suffering.
I would have readily helped him had he asked for it. (Somehow I knew that wouldn't happen....)
Some folks don't really want to get better, bitching about it is more fun.
The guy that was bitching, wanted to only fish dries in the middle of the Summer.
Well-after they had all been trained to not eat dries...not to mention warm surface water.
I took the game to them with a streamer, so caught fish.
Always remember, when you don't catch fish, it could be your approach, not the fishery.
"Fishing one way is not always the best way."
And, maybe when we've caught enough fish , it won't matter...
Of course, I won't hold my breath on that one....

Jim

Jed Peters
01-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Here's one my dad got of 8 20"+ hooked in a single day with that crappy guide, Ryan Johnson is. Almost 24" wild rainbow.

I can honestly say the one day I fished with Ryan we caught more fish and bigger than anyone else on the section we were working. The man knows what he's doing.

Cmcculloch
01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Rossflyguy,

You can "ignore" anyone on this forum. Click their their name to "view profile". From their profile, there is a menu where you can select "add to ignore list".

Nor*Cal
01-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Amoeba you have a free seat in my boat any time you want and all it will cost you is that you stop talking down on guides, I will even buy you a turkey sand which and a bag of chips.

I've never talked down on a guide but I would be happy to start if this offer goes for me as well :p

Cheers,

EricO
01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Is there any way to delete Amoeba? He's such a buzz kill.

LMAO. I love that term. A buddy and I affectionately use it for a significant other. We call her
BK because sometimes she'll bring up random subjects that are total buzz kills. And her first and
middle initials are BK which adds to the chuckles.

EO

Bob Loblaw
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM
my only experience with guides and bullshitting was last year after a drift on the Lower Sac with Ryan Johnson. My partner and I were guessing we had about 50 fish in the boat and slapping eachother on the back. "Try 39" said Ryan. Still a great day by anyone's estimation and definitely not the actions of a guide who pads numbers to drum up business.