PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: sign a change.org petition against Artesa winery on the Gualala River.

LostCoast
12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Here's a clear threat to our coastal streams that anyone who cares about salmon, steelhead, or redwoods should stand up against:

Artesa Winery’s planned vineyard development is the only project in California proposing deforestation of coastal redwoods. Allowing this would set a precedent for other vineyard developers to destroy redwood forests in California.

Below is a short excerpt from the petition. Click the link to read more:

The project has already been granted permits from California state agencies. Only a lawsuit from the Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity, and Friends of the Gualala River has temporarily stopped the chainsaws and bulldozers from permanently removing the forest, sterilizing all its soils, and desecrating its ancient Pomo Indian heritage.

Artesa’s plan to log over a million board-feet of coastal redwood and douglas fir is more than simply clear-cutting the forest. They will rip out redwood roots and stumps that would otherwise regenerate. They will completely scrape away ancient forest soils and organisms, and apply pesticides. In addition, they will construct roads that are potential sources of sediment pollution to rivers and streams – home to endangered Coho salmon and Steelhead trout – and build fencing that fragments wild life habitat. It won’t be a pretty sight.

Please see the change.org petition put together by Friends of the Gualala River:
http://www.change.org/petitions/artesa-vineyards-winery-don-t-destroy-redwood-forest-for-vineyards?share_id=eTidpLDEek&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Larry S
12-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Just did it. That was easy. Let's hope this development gets stopped.
Best,
Larry S

Jeff F
12-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Anyone read the EIR?

http://www.artesasonoma.com/

LostCoast
12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
The Judge rejected Artesa's EIR late last week. Now, Artesa has 60 days to appeal. Each one of the those change.org petitions gets sent directly to them so the hope is that enough continued public outcry via these petitions will persuade Artesa to sell the land to a conservation trust and take their vineyard plans elsewhere.

See the press democrat article for more info: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20131206/articles/131209661#page=4

Jeff F
12-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Just an FYI to interested parties.....

I used to write EIR's for living as a land use consultant. And I still deal with such documents in my current job as City Planner.

So, just a tip for you........if you want to read EIR's, read the DRAFT....not the Final. The DRAFT is where all the analysis and mitigation measures are. The Final contains only responses to comments on the DRAFT.

JasonB
12-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Thank you very much for the heads up. Signed promptly! This really blows me away; who in their right mind would approve yet ANOTHER vineyard at the expense of old growth redwood forests and endangered Coho and Steelhead populations? Don't get me wrong, I love California wines; but really just how many do we really need??? Seems like plenty of other locations would be far more appropriate to me...
JB

roywest
12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Another reason to drink only wines from France and Italy.

BobT
12-14-2013, 01:27 PM
This has been sent out to the membership of the Russian River Wild Steelhead Society as an informational piece on developements in our area.

SFMike
12-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Just signed - thanks for forwarding. I'll pass this on to a few friends as well and hope for the best.