PDA

View Full Version : RV/Fly fishing is on the rise for us old folks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Lots of my good old fly fishing friends are buying an RV so they can go more now that they are retired or semi-retired.

There are many group fish out opportunities now.

We are going to an annual RV fishing trip to Hebgen Lake in Montana in August with a group of mostly Flyfishers of Davis couples.

Popular choices in a light weight travel trailer that is 20 or more feet long with a slide out.

These are trout fishing trips in the summer and steelhead in the fall/winter for us.

More yahooing.........

Scott V
12-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I knew you wold love your rv, we love ours and can't wait to get back out. I think our next trip is in January, a crabbing trip to Doran beach with my kayak club. It is an annual event, we get over 100 kayakers out there, that makes for a lot of crabs!! You should see our pot luck, it is amazing!!

Rockman
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I knew you wold love your rv, we love ours and can't wait to get back out. I think our next trip is in January, a crabbing trip to Doran beach with my kayak club. It is an annual event, we get over 100 kayakers out there, that makes for a lot of crabs!! You should see our pot luck, it is amazing!!

Maybe we could get an RV category to the forum, I bet other RVing/Flyfisherman would enjoy meeting and fishing with other RVers. I bought a used Outfitter pop-up truck camper and love it for a fishing rig. Would enjoy meeting others for some trips.

Kneedeep
12-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Are allowing folks with lowly tent trailers?

Rockman
12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Heck yah!! Bring it! It beats tent camping on the ground. Setting up a rough camp cuts to much into my fishing time.

Randy B
12-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Campfire Lodge Resort is a great campground near Hegben.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2013, 12:11 AM
This summer when it is super hot here in the valley we should have a message board RV/camping outing either at high elevation or on the coast.

Lance Gray
12-11-2013, 03:21 AM
RVing is a fun. My wife and I go all over the place. We just purchased our new 26 foot travel trailer. We had a 20 foot travel trailer for years - but the new one with the walk around queen is to die for.

Bill and I have been chatting about taking one of our fly-fishing tour and turn it into an RV tour. For example we can take the Lake Alamnor tour and do the tour around fly-fishing the lake but also stress the areas to stay with your RV. I was also kicking around a 4 or 5 day tour. Half the time at Putah Creek and the other half at Yuba River. Do our base tours with tying, entomology class, reading water and so on. Get a couple of my guides and have a ball.

I am always looking for input on all these. Hell that is how the tour started is clients asking for them. So if you guys have any ideas or comments let me know. email me or just post it.

Thanks - Merry Christmas

Kneedeep
12-11-2013, 05:45 AM
http://www.yellowstonecountrycampgrounds.com/
http://hebgenbasincampgrounds.com/
:)

Scott V
12-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Are allowing folks with lowly tent trailers?

You can sleep on the ground for all I care, I am not an RV slob. Anyone can camp with me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I always promote tent trailers.

My folks had one when I was young and we loved it.

My fishing partner, Mel Jeffs, had a nice tent trailer and we used it all over Nor Cal, Oregon and Nevada. He had a small pickup with a canopy which we put one pram on top of and we put the other pram on top of the tent trailer.

Tent trailers usually have two very large beds, one on each end.

Randy B
12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm in for a summer RV Kiene's Board trip.

Rockman
12-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Count my vote for an RV category.

beachjumper1
12-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I vote for high elvevation dont need hookups just room for 28' fiver

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Maybe 25 years ago Melvin Jeffs and I went to the mouth of the Matole River in February. Galen Geller (the late 'Oregon Salmon') and a friend (Paul Keel or Phil Romig?) came along in their vehicle.

Mel had a little pickup with a canopy so we slept in it.

Geller and friend slept on the ground with a big ground cloth, pads and sleeping bags which they covered with a huge canvas tarp.

It was below freezing and when we got up it was so cold that the ground and Geller's canvas was covered with frost.

In the middle where their hot breath was rising the frost was melted.

I think memories like this keep me from going winter steelheading, especially at my age.

betty
12-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Been fishing all over the western US in my camping van (think I count as an RV). Add another vote for an RV category on the board.
Betty

FRSam
12-19-2013, 09:18 PM
That's one sweet rig you've got Betty...you've got my vote.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Going to a lake makes a good camping fish out for a group of anglers.

Float tubes, pontoons, kayaks, canoes and prams are nice for this.

For a weekend you really don't need hook ups.

Maybe something high elevation in July/August?

Some might go for just one or two nights while other might go for a week?

Sound good to me.