PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Fly Rods and Reels

Boneafidecharters
12-10-2013, 08:18 AM
My buddy Brian from Ye Olde English Fly Shop in Summerland Key in the beautiful Florida Keys is making some of the nicest rods I have ever thrown. The model is the QFX. I would compare it to a cross between a Sage XI2 and the GLoomis GLX Cross Current. The rods are from 3wt-12wt and retail for $160.00 with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I have just purchased a whole quiver of new rods from him and my clients love them!! They are lightweight, yet load very easily and shoot the line with ease. They have a great backbone to whip any fish in short order.

I have been a guide in the Florida Keys for over 20 years and have had about every fly rod and reel known to man at one point.

Contact me and I will put you in touch with Brian directly. I still have a few dates open for tarpon season(March-June), if you are interested in landing a big poon!!

Capt JT Gabriel
Bone~A~Fide Charters
boneafidecharters@yahoo.com

the_gnarwhale
12-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Cool Story Bro. Go spam someplace else.

jbird
12-10-2013, 11:08 AM

WOW! Talk about rude!! Take a minute to see what else this guy has posted before jumping to conclusions "Bro" http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?31898-Fly-Reels-Fly-Rods-Fly-tying-material-and-blue-water-flies-for-sale

Rich Morrison
12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I do know some forums prohibit this sort of blanket ad for any particular brand or shop in the classified ad section. I think the better course of action might be to post a couple of his rods for sale with a few photos. That would be a much more effective way to generate interest.

aaron
12-10-2013, 09:11 PM
WOW! Talk about rude!! Take a minute to see what else this guy has posted before jumping to conclusions "Bro" http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?31898-Fly-Reels-Fly-Rods-Fly-tying-material-and-blue-water-flies-for-sale

Uh, he's undercutting biz for Kiene's/Fishwest. I would say the Capt is the rude one?

cs2824
12-10-2013, 10:53 PM
He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own…Is like one who takes a Dog by the Ears.

roywest
12-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Abuse really hasn't been a problem here, in the handful of years I've been enjoying this forum -- perhaps due to our benevolent board overlords. Ignoring posts you suspect are abusive might still be an effective approach to squashing them without igniting the trolls.

jbird
12-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Guess I imagine the moderators here (Which, by the way, am not sure who that is anymore) would have the discretion to identify spammers and deal with it swiftly and quietly rather than random forum members taking jabs at others. This site has a very long history of sales promotions from all kinds of professionals. Is every guide who advertises (blatently or subtly) here affiliated with Fishwest?

I really doubt a new member advertising a no name line of rods made by his buddy is going to undermine sales for the big reputable named rods from a legit fly shop.

Tony Buzolich
12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I asked Bill about this a few years ago when folks were selling rods, etc. on the board cheaper than those he carried in the shop. His response was that it has never hurt him and he likes to help board members sell their old stuff and then they can come in and purchase whatever it is new that they want. That's quite generous of Bill.

The problem I see is that more and more of these offerings are not from regular board members trying to sell "used" equipment but are from guys actually selling "new" products. This "does" take away from sales that the store needs to continue it's operation profitably.

I owned a retail store for almost thirty years and I learned over that time that somebody, somewhere, is always going to be a little cheaper than you selling a similar product. What they don't (or can't) offer is customer service. Kiene's Fly Shop is one of the finest examples of "giving" customer service over the years it's been in business and I hope it continues with the new ownership.

Just my $.02, Tony

Darian
12-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Hmmm,.... This seems to be a periodic complaint. I understand the reasons mentioned as supporting for the owners of the shop and this BB, however, this ad seems to be more of a promo for a buddy. Many of the members on this BB have done the same thing, especially the guides. No problem with that or this for me.

Actually, I don't see how this promo rises to the level of competing with shops sales. There're several rod brands available here in the same price range that offer similar warranties. The named rod maker and the member are both located in the Florida Keys. That might be convenient for someone (a BB member) on the east coast But certainly not here.

Since the membership on this BB is not totally local, I agree with Bill about the ads not competing with the shops business....

briansII
12-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I doubt this was an intentional attempt at stealth spamming, BUT........

The post is about buying a "house brand" rod from a _Fly Shop_. While it may not actually take business away from Kiene's, it's a fly shop with a website. You can place orders through the site. Lots of west coast folks order items from the east coast. It's just mouse clicks away, no sales tax, and you can have that special piece of gear.

Again, I doubt there was anything underhanded going on with this post. I just think it's marginal at best to allow it.

briansII

JAWallace
12-11-2013, 11:42 PM
I understand both sides too. I think Bill and the current powers that be have been very generous about letting us post and recommend products or services they don't carry. I am always hesitant to recommend Scadden pontoons because the shop isn't a dealer, but I think the general webmaster sentiment is that the fact we can discuss competing brands lends more credibility to the site and shop than would a more restrictive content policy.

I don't think the OP was spamming. It appears he found something he likes and was passing it on. I also understand Aaron's position, but I think most of us give Kiene's/Fishwest at least the first look when buying most equipment.

Ben J
12-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Or maybe let whomever moderates this site deal with it and mind your own business..."Fishwest" are the ones who run this site as they see fit.

Boneafidecharters
12-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Not spam. When you have caught almost every species of fish on the planet and are trying to promote the sport of fly fishing to the people that might not be able to afford the Sage and Orvis brands, but still want to get out on the water with a quality stick in their hand...

I guarantee I have run more lodges and mother ship operations than you have. It is not a dick fest here. That is what I love about Kienes. I am strictly trying to educate the guy that wouldn't buy anything and eventually buy everything. As you know this life as a double hauling maniac consumes you eventually...

Nooduke
12-13-2013, 01:32 AM
the very existence of a classified section only suggests that the individuals that run this site recognize the potential conflict of interest and find the risk worth the reward . . I always see people speaking for what "Bill" would say / feel . . . Bill is alive, let Bill tell us what is acceptable . . . if he keeps his mouth shut. . . so should you. . . just do not ask for a discount on your $800 in shop rod purchase. A rod with a 40% profit margin. . . if you are lucky. . .

Mike O
12-13-2013, 08:21 AM
the very existence of a classified section only suggests that the individuals that run this site recognize the potential conflict of interest and find the risk worth the reward . . I always see people speaking for what "Bill" would say / feel . . . Bill is alive, let Bill tell us what is acceptable . . . if he keeps his mouth shut. . . so should you. . . just do not ask for a discount on your $800 in shop rod purchase. A rod with a 40% profit margin. . . if you are lucky. . .

Great first post...and welcome.

Scott V
12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Here is an idea people, how about you let the owners of the site take care of everything and you worry about yourselves. A lot of accusations are happening based on ASSumptions.

jbird
12-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Its pretty common in the forum world to require new members to make X amount of posts before they can even access the classifieds. Some require 50, some 100 posts. Not a bad way to keep away those with a singular agenda

goby
12-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Its pretty common in the forum world to require new members to make X amount of posts before they can even access the classifieds. Some require 50, some 100 posts. Not a bad way to keep away those with a singular agenda

I suggested that a while ago and I think it's a great idea.