PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahaed

WadeK
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been day dreaming of fishing lately (for the last 35+ years). I've been thinking of where I want to go for next year once the season opens and again when my kids get out of school.
For around the opener (probably a week after or something like that to avoid the crowds) I was thinking I've never heard of anyone targeting Mackinaw (Lake Trout) in CA with a fly rod. Is there anywhere that might be better for this? Is this the right time of year or would they be easier in the fall? I have read that in the NW Territories of Canada, they are targeted when they make their spawning migrations, but I don't know when that would be in CA.

A non-fishing buddy (yes, I actually have a few of those) recently told me his favorite MC ride he ever took was the length of Hwy 49 starting in Oakhurst and ending near Chilcoot, from there we could see a buddy in Reno then visit my Mom in Fallon with a side trip to the Pharoah's home lake. I've been thinking, that could be a cool trip to take with my son and daughter with some good fishing along the way. Do any of you have suggestions for places to go or avoid along this route both fishing and not fishing related? PM's are appreciated.

TL,
Wade