PDA

View Full Version : The Ted Williams and the Atlantic Salmon on a fly....old 16 mm movie to video

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2013, 10:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MiPagrXzA

Baseball legend, Ted Williams, is documented in his quest for perhaps the greatest gamefish of all, the Atlantic Salmon set in Canada, Norway and Scotland. Narrated by another legend, the voice of the NFL, John Facenda.

Sears Roebuck & Co.
Director: Martin Pitts
Writer: John Underwood
Producer: Grant Gravitt
Narrator: John Facenda

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Maybe 10 years ago or more Ted Williams was in Sacramento for a baseball memorabilia show and on Sunday he was free so he looked up in the yellow pages and drove out to our fly shop. Just my luck I was not working but Chuck Campana was and he had a great time visiting with Ted. They took out the newest Sage fly rod and cast it in the back parking lot. Chuck said it was pretty special for him because he and Ted were from the same generation.

Years ago Ted worked with Sears and Shakespeare Company to design much of Sear's Ted Williams Autograph fishing tackle.

Ted Williams was a war hero, top baseball player and consumate hunter and fly fisher.

http://www.tedwilliams.com/

M Duper
11-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Good stuff Bill. Thanks for posting.

k.hanley
11-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Boy-o-boy how cool would it be to read Ted's logbook from his cabin!

Thanks Bill. Brought back great memories of the Sears film series and other shows like the American Sportsman. Love this stuff.
Cheers, Ken

Mark Kranhold
11-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing! What a memorable experience for Chuck!

hwchubb
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks, Bill - I thought that white blank might be an old WonderRod.
Brings back the Saturday afternoon thrill of being a kid watching The American Sportsman - wayyyyyyy before cable.

gitt
12-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Funny you would bring up Ted Williams. NPR had an interesting interview with Ben Bradley Jr., author of "The Kid, the immortal life of Ted Williams" this afternoon. The audio link below runs 25 minutes for those who missed it.

www.npr.org/2013/12/03/248246844/ted-williams-a-perfectionist-ballplayer-with-many-demons?ft=1&f=13

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
We can only imagine the quality of our fisheries before and just after WWII.

I have an emotional bond with all those old timers who were of the Greatest Generation.

The fishing and hunting they had as young men in the US was world class.