PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't saltwater fly fishing more popular in Southern Cal? ........... article

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-24-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.btbff.com/index.php/btbff/1E1PB/20/

I think it is getting more popular now though.......

Darian
11-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Good article but the question should be altered to read, Why isn't saltwater off-shore and in-shore fly fishing more popular in southern California??? The article completely ignores a very active SoCal surf fly fishing scene. It's understandable, tho. The title of the publication the article appears in is "BEYOND THE BREAKWATER."

All of the reasons mentioned as potential obstacles seem reasonable but the greatest reason for the seeming lack of interest is the cost of a fully outfitted, safe ocean going skiff. Prices in this category of boat would rival buying a high end/luxury RV or low cost house. Add to that the cost of outfitting yourself with all of the fly gear required, plus back-up and fuel and you're gonna have to be a wealthy person or guide to participate. Nowhere near as expensive to fish the surf or rent a boat for fly fishing kelp beds just beyond the breakers at places like Capitola or Santa Cruz harbors. :cool:

Scott V
11-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I know a lot of southern California salt water fishers. Heck I know a club that mostly fly fishes in the salt. No need to go to the ocean, plenty of fishing in the numerous bays. I just got finished fishing San Diego bay and had a blast from my float tube.

Larry S
11-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Gotta agree with the aforementioned comments. Also, much of the in-shore and off-shore angling involves
"meat" fishing.
Best,
Larry S

Darian
11-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Yep!!! I forgot to mention meat fishing. As I recall, even the cost of those trips is high on the longer range trips. I guess most people would feel that if they're out there on a "party boat", the price of a ticket is high enough that those fishers want to keep what they catch for meals. Lots of the fish down there are good eating, too. Hamachi coma.... MMM, MMM. :cool:

ps. Forgot to mention that motion sickness probably keeps many fly fishers from spending a lot of time in-shore or off-shore (open ocean....)

Larry S
11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
I have heard that Peter Piconi - SD flyfishing outfitters - organizes an overnight saltwater trip for the fly guys/gals.
# of rods limited. Sometime in August?
Best,
Larry S

Darian
11-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Hmmm,.... That's a great idea. May have to contact him this summer when I'm down there visiting.... Aren't there some guides and guys who fly fish off-shore for Calico's down there, too (Calico Syndicate?)??? Lots to work on down there. :cool:

Larry S
11-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Darian,
Peter would know about other opportunities. I've never been in his new shop; it's just north of the airport on what used to be
the Naval Training Center. You can also check out the fliflicker site. I lurk there but don't post since I spend way too much
time on the Internet, as it is. I did run across a fellow @ Torrey a few weeks ago that had gone on the overnighter
and enjoyed it immensely. They got into dorado, tuna, and the usual suspects.
Best,
Larry S