PDA

View Full Version : Off to Baja ....

David Lee
11-21-2013, 10:34 PM
.... For 7 weeks , starting Sunday .

We set up a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/bigbajaadventure Check it out if you have a moment .

I'll try to do live updates , photos , videos and such , every day of the trip . Hitting the Abreojos/Estero Coyote/Laguna La Bocana area for several days , then down to the East Cape . Driving the length for the first time .... it should be interesting !!

You guys have fun freezing for Steelhead while I'm gone !!

D.~

Darian
11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
What a great adventure!! The last time I went with a group to Mulege' (2007) it was by van. Altho, that trip was not nearly as long as yours will be, I found Baja to be a really interesting place. The contrast between the pacific side of the peninsula and the gulf side is dramatic. Looking forward to reading your reports. :D

k.hanley
11-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Safe travels (and wild tugs) for you and Candida bud. Have a fantastic trip!
Cheers, Ken

Larry S
11-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Hoping I'm going to connect with them in Sun Diego on Sunday. My last dog was named Candida.
She also loved the water. What a great time they have ahead of them!
Best,
Larry S

jbird
11-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Looking forward to following this trip on Facebook! Have a ball and be safe my friend!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-22-2013, 08:32 PM
You guys should have an excellent adventure.......

David Lee
11-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks , guys !

Life is short , and all too fragile - do it NOW , while you still can . Larry , I'll call you on the way down -

D.~

Larry S
12-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Bump to top. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Best to the Kiene Kold fold,
Larry

David Lee
12-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Larry - very sorry we missed you . Wound up taking a wrong turn (Thanks , google) and didn't get into La Mesa until late .

Quick update - East cape slow , but things turned around yesterday at the Lighthouse . 48 to Hand for me , 26 Green Jacks , 13 Pompano , 6 Peacock Razorfish , a rare Golden Trevally , a 4-Lb. 'Roo , and one unidentified . All on my Sage SP+ 6 wt . Fished Pink and Shrimp colored #4 Ghost Gotchas on 10 Lb. tippet . My Arms are a wee bit sore today ..... terrible , I know .

3 days at Campo Rene near Abreojos fishing Estero Coyote . No gillnetting there now for 5 years , and it is LOADED with fish ! 17 different species to Hand , 11 new ones . 142 fish in two , 5-hour sessons . Totally insane !! Ken Hanley , you can add Broomtail Grouper and Paloma Pompano to the Gold Buccaneer list !!!

Check the FB page link above for photos , hope you all are enjoying the balmy Sacramento weather -

D.~

k.hanley
12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
David did you bring any tying gear with you? If so, don't forget to tie the Gold Buccaneer in a variety of sizes. Sometimes a smaller version #2 gets fish on a shy bite. Keep flying that Skull-n-Crossbones Flag.
Cheers, Ken

David Lee
12-10-2013, 06:53 PM
...... don't forget to tie the Gold Buccaneer in a variety of sizes.

Mr. Ken , I tye/fish a slim #4 , my standard #1 in regular and Sand Shrimp , and a 3/0 for big bad things . The G.B. is in my top-5 Saltwater flies , and that should say something !!

Blowing like the end of the world here in La Ribera today . Did a recon down to El Rincon (the South end of Playa Punta Arena) , 8-foot surf stepped on my 6 wt. plans , but we saw some BIG Fish surfing the waves and killing things . The wind will drop soon .... and we will be there when it happens .

I Love this Country .

D.~