PDA

View Full Version : Argentina/Chile

Clark
11-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I just got back from a bucket list trip to Argentina and Chile. This was a trip with my non-fishing wife, so it was not a fishing trip solely. But to her credit, she put on the waders and chucked some flies with me for a few days. She actually caught a bunch of fish too!

We spent a total of 10 days traveling through northern Patagonia, starting in Buenas Aires, then to Bariloche, Peulla, Chile, Puerto Varas, Chile and then Santiago. We floated the Limay River outside of Bariloche, waded a private section of the Pichi Leufu River on a massive sheep ranch outside of Bariloche, and floated the Maullin River near Puerto Varas, Chile.

It was spring in Patagonia, so the weather was a little unpredictable, but not bad at all. The rivers were running cold and high, but clear and fishable. We mostly fished big streamers on sinking lines, except for the Pichi Leufu (a smaller river) where we fished lighter rods with floating lines. We caught nice browns and rainbows on all of the rivers.

We fished with a couple of great guides. PM me if you want more info on the region or want guide recommendations.

Morgan
11-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Looks like one hekk of a time!
Good to hear the lady even tossed some flies...did she start enjoying throwing flies?
Thanks for sharing.

Clark
11-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks Gangster. She actually had a great time. She has fished with me before, but not to this extent. It helps when the fish are cooperating. She was a trooper though.

I can't say enough about having a good guide to help show her the ropes. I have been fishing for a long time and could teach her, but I believe it is just best to leave that process to the pros.

Here are a couple of her getting after it.

jbird
11-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Fantastic report on this bucket list trip! Would love to explore that area some day.

Thanks for sharing Clark!

DLJeff
11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I believe I might know that guide. Does he fish Mongolia for about 6 weeks a year in Sep/Oct? If so, hopefully he talked with you about it and you've now added that to your bucket list. That's important because you never want to have an empty bucket list. Great report too.