PDA

View Full Version : A Question For All of You Boat Owners...

FRSam
11-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I know a lot of us are pulling boats to fish our favorite stillwaters. Should your rig breakdown does your roadside service plan take care of your boat as well? I just went through 4 different operators with Triple A who all had different answers!?!

I had complete coverage, including the boat, with my Expedition up to 60,000 miles for free and then it ran out. Of course the last thing you want to do is leave your beloved boat on the side of the road should your rig breakdown.

I was finally able to get towing coverage for the boat as well as the rig for $119.00 a year. But it wasn't easy...in talking to these operators you'd think I was the only one in California towing a boat?!?

So my question is does your roadside service plan cover your boat as well or are you left to deal with the boat on your own?

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Hogan Brown
11-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I have my road side coverage for my car and my boats. The road side coverage for my car is through my car policy and my road side coverage for my boat and trailer are under my boat policy. Hopefully that helps

Mike McKenzie
11-20-2013, 08:44 PM
The Roadside assistance coverage of my Boat insurance covers towing if anything breaks down on the boat trailer or my truck. (even runnin' out of gas!)

Darian
11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I've not had a problem with AAA. I recently had a blow-out on one of my trailer tires on I-5 just north of Hwy 12. AAA covered towing the boat/trailer to the towing outfits yard in Lodi. No questions asked. Maybe the tow guys understanding of coverages varies with location.... :confused:

Dave E.
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Pete,
My boat insurance plan covers roadside assistance / towing, but I've yet to challenge its reliability.

I’m also a AAA Plus ( package ) member of more than 30 years and my card reflects both, which is supposed to have greater significance in their roadside assistance / towing plan, increasing the distances covered, etc.
A couple of months ago I trailered the boat across three states without incidence Rolling along at night, out on some of those lonely western highways in the high desert, every now and then I've wondered just how serviceable any of these towing packages will be if something goes awry, 100 miles from the next sleepy little junction town.

If the tow vehicle went down, I would expect one of the two policies to cover the towing in of the boat as well. I don’t mean this to sound sarcastic, but if neither did, that’s what credit cards and a wad of cash are for “ the unforeseen “. I’m not leaving the boat unattended, so I’d bear the cost upfront and try to work it out with the concerned parties later.

Dave

Dave

FRSam
11-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys...I think we've got it worked out to my satisfaction. I went with the AAA premium membership which also included taking care of, towing, the boat & trailer up to 22ft in length which fortunately I'm just under.

I'd been with 3A for years & years but when I bought the Expedition the road service was included free so I dropped 3A. The Ford road service was excellent including the boat & trailer although I only used it a couple of times.

I couldn't agree more Dave, you get out in those remote areas your credit card and a little on hand cash might come in very handy.

Once again thanks...

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

ssy
11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
If you have seperate coverage on your boat, it should cover towing. Just pay for it up front and get reimbursed from your insurance company. I've had my boat/trailer on a flatbed 3 times in 23 year and no problem getting my money back.

Steve