PDA

View Full Version : December vacation ideas

greenomics
11-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm looking to put together a 2 day trip with my girlfriend sometime in December. Does anyone have recommendations for a destination she'll enjoy and I can escape to spend a morning or afternoon fishing? Travel constraint is 3 hours driving from Davis.

Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Maybe get a drift boat guide on the Lower Yuba River, weather dependant..

Larry S
11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
green,
Why not head up coast highway 1? Take a steelhead rod and a surf rod. Beautiful drive, romantic
spots, and you can check out some possible winter fishing. Buy the Streamtime maps for that area.
Mendocino, Ft Bragg, Bodega Bay, Pt Arena. She'll think you're a mythical god!

Hatch
11-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Go Striper Fishing !!!!!!!
HATCH

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-21-2013, 10:11 PM
green,
Why not head up coast highway 1? Take a steelhead rod and a surf rod. Beautiful drive, romantic
spots, and you can check out some possible winter fishing. Buy the Streamtime maps for that area.
Mendocino, Ft Bragg, Bodega Bay, Pt Arena. She'll think you're a mythical god!

This sounds like a better adventure for a couple.....

Russian, Gualala, Garcia.....

BobVP
11-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I cannot agree more with the recommendation to take a drive/fishing/hiking/snuggling trip up the coast with your significant other.
I've lived on the north coast most of my life (born here) and this time of the year is wonderful. The fishing can be spotty, steelhead fishing is not going to happen until there is more rain and the ocean is a predictable...well, the ocean! But with a surf rod and a few places to go some fishing can be done and, weather permitting, the rivers can be perfect in December for fly fishing.
Lots of cozy places to stay from The Sea Ranch to Fort Bragg. Some great food to be found and every single day there is that ocean just to the west of wherever you have ended up.
Yep, it is cold...damp cold! Dress appropriately. Yep, it can rain (Please, oh please let it rain some more soon!) but dressed properly there are a few great hikes in some of the state parks in the Mendocino area (Russian Gulch and Van Damne being my favorites). There are fun things to do all around this time of year if you look in the local papers..or on line...you can find them. Join us for swing dance in a beautiful old ballroom on Friday nights in Fort Bragg...or Tango Thursdays and Sundays...Football at V'Canto Restaurant in Fort Bragg....the North Coast Brewery...

greenomics
11-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning more toward a cabin rental in the Dunsmuir area. But I think the gf would appreciate the coastal trip more. Either way should be fun.

Larry S
11-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Green,
A beautiful area, to be sure. Hope you have the Streamtime map of the Upper Sacramento. Great fly shop
in Dunsmuir. Think about the Coast 1 route for a future excursion. It's like you're in a different
country.
Best,
Larry S