PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Dooba

Chris Gearhart
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Well I found myself with a day off so I thought I would do some fishing for a change. Put the dog in the truck (named Yuba),left the boat in the driveway and went to the Yuba for a little walk and wade. So I went to my favorite spot on the river and found sweet solitude. A welcome change after spending the last couple of months on the Sac and Feather. Started fishing around 9am and had 5 big beautiful fish to hand by 11am. First 3 came on eggs then a sputtering BWO hatch started and the fish turned to Micro Mays.

Left that area and went to Sycamore. Didn't find any fish but looking up to Hamond I counted at least 5 other anglers so loaded up the dog and headed home. Speaking of the dog, she thought it would be a great idea to lay down and roll around on a dead salmon. What a smell !!!! Gave her a quick rinse in the river and good to go, so I thought. When we got in the truck I could still smell it, oops I missed her ear Holy Stink Batman !!

Chris

Scott V
11-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I can not count how many times I have heard people tell me their dog rolled around in the dead salmon. Must be a smell that they love deep inside.

I hope to hit the Yuba over Thanksgiving weekend in my kayak.

Rockman
11-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Carp are much worse, my dog still stunk after multiple washings. Sounds like a great day on the water.

TigerLilly
11-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Isn't it kind of an oxymoron to praise the "sweet solitude" then post a fishing report on the internet?

Fish Head
11-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Chris, I feel your pain with the rotten sushi 'rol'l. Not sure if you dog decided to enjoy a few bites of salmon prior to the roll, but if he/she did and happens to get lethargic in the next week or so, get the dog to the vet ASAP and tell your vet that she ate dead salmon and skip the 300-500$ worth of testing and ask for 'salmon poisoning'' treatment. Dogs can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.
The Sacramento drainage basin is like outside the general range extent of this parasite (southern extent is the California North Coast drainages) so you're probably fine, but just wanted to give you an FYI.

The parasite and it's host are prevalent in the Klamath and Trinity system salmonids. My dog and my friends dog share a rotten salmon last year on the T and both contracted the parasite.

neck fat
11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Isn't it kind of an oxymoron to praise the "sweet solitude" then post a fishing report on the internet?

He guide look to sell fish trip. He catch lot fish no person else catche as many.

Barry Clark
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Personally, I enjoy reading the post from anyone who fishes the rivers of Northern and Central California. Many provide valuable information which will increase my knowledge and success rate. The Yuba river has dished out many a butt kicking to me and anyone who has success on that river should be congratulated and not chastised for his report.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
When I worked at West Capitol Rod & Gun, "the bait shop", I put 3 or 4 American Shad into an old metal 5 gallon bucket out back, then filled it with water to keep the flies off of it while I went to work for an 8 hour shift. I planned on smoking them but something happened and I forgot about them.

2 to 3 months later we saw the bucket and went......."Oh no....."

We knocked it over and "wow"......it was the worst smell know to man kind.