PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal report from Hogan Brown - Nov12, 2013

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Winter Steelhead and Trout Fishing
The valley tail waters are seeing some of the best salmon runs in ten years this fall and there are more winter salmon on the way. This should result is some great winter fishing for both trout and late fall and winter run steelhead. Rain is critical and we have yet to see any significant storms move through Northern California so if you are inclined do your rain dance. In the mean time read the winter previews below and plan a winter trout and steelhead trip on your own or look over the open dates I have listed below and book a guide date. As always check out my blog for the most up to date fishing reports or my website for more information on the rivers I guide during the winter.

Open Dates for Late Fall and Winter Trout and Steelhead.
Dec: 27-31
Jan: 2-9, 12, 18, 20, 26,
Feb: 8-10, 15, 16, 22, 23

Lower Sacramento
Winter is one of the best times of the year on the L. Sac to catch BIG trout. I have clients catch some of the biggest rainbows of the year during Dec and Jan. There is also winter run steelhead in the lower river and even some dry fly opportunities with strong baetis hatches. This is not a numbers time of year, but if you wan to catch big rainbows winter is hard to beat.

Lower Yuba
Winter on the Lower Yuba is one of my favorite times of year to fish the river. There is options to nymph fish, swing flies on switch rods, and strong winter baetis hatches offering some great winter dry fly fishing...oh and don't forget the skwala stonefly hatch starting usually in January that can be some of the best dry fly fishing of the year...oh and of course the big winter steelhead that show up...

Feather River
Winter on the Feather can be hit or miss as most fish enter in the fall and are heading down stream come Dec/Jan but this year with the strong fall run, and anticipated winter salmon run, we may see strong a late push of fall and winter steelhead...

Butte Creek
The creek is one of the few small stream tributaries in the valley that is open to winter fishing and accessible to the public. It is open Nov 15-Feb 15 and while fishing is weather dependent, with good conditions trout and steelhead fishing can be very good. It is true steelhead fishing though...some days are diamonds some days are rocks...the creek is a true gem and offers wade fishing and drift fishing out of rafts.

Hogan Brown

http://www.hgbflyfishing.com/hgbflyfishing/Welcome.html

Morgan
11-12-2013, 08:59 AM
It sounds like I need to fish some new water this winter.
I have yet to fish any of the rivers listed.
Time to get out and enjoy some new scenery.
Thanks for the report Hogan. ANd thanks for posting it up for us Bill.

Hogan Brown
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks Bill for posting...Gangster tons of good fishing all winter on the valley tail waters and creeks if you plan on fishing over the winter feel free to shoot me an email and I'll fill you in on what is happening.

wineslob
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I am very near Butte Creek (cross it every day on the way home from work) and have private land access. Any reccomendations for fly choices? Fox's Poopah? Egg?

Hogan Brown
11-20-2013, 01:17 PM
wineslob email me...it really depends on where you access is.
hoganbrown@hotmail.com