PDA

View Full Version : Klamath put-in and take-out info needed

Dagee
11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Hello All,
I'm looking for information regarding drifting the Klamath in the coming weeks. Can anyone suggest put-ins and take-outs for various sections of the river that are fishing well. I have a 14' raft and I'm fairly competent on the oars but I have never rowed the Klamath. I do not generally like running rivers that I'm unfamiliar with but with the reports out of the Trinity, I'm looking for new water. A six to seven hour run would be ideal, taking in to consideration that we will stop and wade along the way (otherwise I don't get to fish).

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Jeff F
11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Dave, I've never fished up higher than Happy Camp, and that's where the fishing is supposedly the best right now. But if I were you, I would just go to your nearest flyshop and get a Streamtime Map of the Klamath. Those maps list all the put-ins and take-outs, paved and gravel, and good fishing spots. The Klamath map is definitely one of the best ones.

~J

slim
11-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Good advice, Jeff.
Map also shows the nasty water, with class rating-helps keep the "pucker factor" in check.
Slim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-07-2013, 05:54 PM
The Klamath River has had a good salmon and steelhead season this year.

Rockman
11-07-2013, 06:25 PM
We launch just below the Iron Gate dam, and take out at the Klamathon Bridge, there is a shuttle service, but I don't have that with me at this time. A bit of boat traffic at this time of the year, but it is not a tough float and there are places to anchor up and work the area, then move down. A pleasant 1 day drift!