PDA

View Full Version : Lower Trinity (like LOWER) jet boat hire?

Jed Peters
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm looking to cover as much water as possible, and would like to hire a jet boat owner to drive me up and down the lower trinity and to the mouth of the klamath. I would provide passes to fish the hoopa area.

Anyone have any recommendations they can pass along? PM is fine.

Cheaper to hire someone than buy a 45k jet boat! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I have a good jet boat I will sell you for $20,000.00.....................

I don't know if they run jet boats on the lower Trinity River?

Guides Jason Hartwick and Herb Burton, who both use rafts, know the lower reaches of the Trinity River as well as anyone.

Jed Peters
11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Guides Jason Hartwick and Herb Burton, who both use rafts, know the lower reaches of the Trinity River as well as anyone.

Jason is at a clinic that w/e, and I'm talking LOWER than that, and faster than a raft bill! :)

Hey, thanks for the offer on the boat BTW. :)

golfish
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
PM sent........

Norman B
11-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Jet boats on a designated Wild and Scenic river are not a good idea.
The river is low and dangerous too

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I just checked with the Trinity Fly Shop and they have never heard of or seen a jet on the lower Trinity River.

Norman B
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info Bill, I'm sure Herb would not want jet boats in the river, or for that matter anyone who enjoys the beauty and solitude of a steelhead river.
The Smith River bans motorized vehicles, and the Trinity will soon be the same (if we can make it happen, with the support of most of you reading this).

winxp_man
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Just got back from the Klamath and Trinity. regular jet boats where having trouble in some areas then alone a jet boat. I would (in my personal opinion) recommend a jet boat on the Trinity with the water level it has now.

itsbenlong
11-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I just checked with the Trinity Fly Shop and they have never heard of or seen a jet on the lower Trinity River.

I often fish between Willow Creek and Weitchpec and can't recall ever seeing a jet boat through there.....except for the occasional boat parked below Petersons at the confluence....

Jed Peters
11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Jet's are runable in higher flows like I'm hoping for in three weeks.

That said, speaking to a couple friends/guides, since a couple years ago, there are no "nonnative" guides allowed on the Hoopa property--and as we know they own the river.

Bill--I've seen them up there during early season salmon runs (higher flows) in the willow creek area. But I think it's TOO skinny now.

And as for the Klamath--if I wanted to trout fish (or steelhead the size of trout) I'd go to the feather or yuba. HA!

CEM
11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I had a discussion in September with a friend of mine (licensed guide) who is not a native guide, and who fishes the Lower Trinity every year as part of his schedule. He said he has been told by the Hoopa that for a guide to launch/takeout on Hoopa property, they are going to charge $100.00 per guide per day, and $5.00 per fisherman per day. For a drift boat guide, that will be an extra $110 dollars a day in overhead. Hmm, I wonder how the guide will recover that! Ha ha! He does not think they will go after people on the river, only those who want to launch/takeout on Hoopa property. IMHO, the only people who would benefit from using a jet boat on a river that small are the people in the boat. Any other people using the river at the same time, would be affected in a negative way by people blasting by to get to their spots. I have fished from Hoopa to the mouth in my drift boat many times, sometimes encountering natives in jet boats tending their nets. I would liken it to a bubbly fart in church, the only happy person is the one doing the farting.
Jet's are runable in higher flows like I'm hoping for in three weeks.

That said, speaking to a couple friends/guides, since a couple years ago, there are no "nonnative" guides allowed on the Hoopa property--and as we know they own the river. So, a drift from the South to Big Rock would be the name of the game if this is the case.

Bill--I've seen them up there during early season salmon runs (higher flows) in the willow creek area. But I think it's TOO skinny now.

And as for the Klamath--if I wanted to trout fish (or steelhead the size of trout) I'd go to the feather or yuba. HA! (But seriously, I understand the lower klamath below Weitchpec can be game on just after a big dump.....)