PDA

View Full Version : Davis lake report Oct 26-27, caught some fish, weather chased me home early

Bluegrass Bill
10-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi Folks, I got up to Davis Lake Saturday afternoon and had time to fish a couple hours picking up a couple nice fish on a brown wiggle tail with full sink intermediate line. The weather was perfect, calm, must have been in the 70’s. I had a nice dinner with long time friends of mine who were there over the weekend and enjoyed a nice fire and time catching up with them.

My friends told me the most recent weather report showed a front was moving in Sunday/Monday with significant winds, rain and even possible snow over the high passes. The thought was the weather/fishing should be good for at least a part of Sunday. I hit the water about 9:00 and for a couple hours had good fishing hooking 5 and landing 3 before the wind really made it to difficult to stay on the water. I saw Scott V come in to shore just after I had with the same conclusion, way to much wind and too difficult to fish. Scott said he was headed home and I decided to do the same. All in all still a good trip, enjoyed time spent with old friends Saturday night, caught some nice fish, met Scott V from the board and learned more about how to fish Davis Lake :)

Scott V
10-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Bill it was nice meeting you. Too bad that wind had to come up and blow so hard. I don't mind a little wind, but when the waves start breaking over my back, then I am done. Caught some great fish while the weather was nice. Biggest was 19" and fat. I think I am done for Davis this year, going to start concentrating on the delta in my kayak.

Rockman
10-28-2013, 07:32 AM
I too, made it up Sat. nite and launched the pram at 7:30 at Mosiquito Slough. Calm & cold at that time of day, but as soon as the sun hit the water it started warming up. Slow start, everything that worked last week, did not work that morning, fished 2 hours before landing the first fish. Wind started to pick up, and then it hit. High winds were making it tough for everyone, but it was a great test for my pram, this was only the 4th time out in the pram, but what a testament for stabiliy. I marked some fish out in the main channel at Mosiquito during the afternoon and picked up 8 more big fish. Then the gust picked up to the point where water was beening lifted of the surface and I called it a day. Good cell phone receptions at Mosiquito, so I called my wife for a weather update. NOAA was calling for 2 inches of snow in Portola w/ high winds. I decided to just go home. Just before leaving we had a beautful sunset to top the day.7844784578467847

Bluegrass Bill
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Scott, real nice to meet you as well and I will be sending you a pm regarding your kayak excursions to the Delta. Rockman sounds like you may have been the last one to leave the water and did very well for you for your efforts. Glad your pram worked well for you. There sure are a lot of different kinds of watercraft that can be used at Davis. I am going to do some real hard thinking before next year on what kind of watercraft I need to have. Here is my one picture I captured worth sharing.:)

TPO
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I was up there as well. Fished Jenkins for about 90 minutes on Friday PM, it was crowded, I counted 14 vehicles parked there and 16 tubes/pontoons on the water. Fished Cow Creek later that afternoon (a lot less crowded), caught a couple fish to 20" on a black bugger and orange wiggle tail. On Saturday I fished near Camp 5 and the action was better. Everyone was into fish, one guy landed 11. Here is a sample, if I managed to attach it correctly, I thought it was a beautiful fish, it went about 20". Was blown off the water by about 11:00 on Sunday too; my fishing bud caught two Sunday AM, I only hooked one and lost it. Orange wiggle tails seemed to be the hot fly.

Tom

Rockman
10-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Was hoping to meet up with some of you, not sure if you guys were fishing the same area at the same time. That was some intense fishing conditions. I hope this cold front triggers the fish to start feeding a bit heavier. Last year at this time it seemed our numbers were much higher, but I think the long spell of nice weather did not help this year. My buddy stayed up last nite and woke up to 2" of snow. He went out for a bit, but the cold wind and no fish got him out early.
I have to admit that the pram's stability under those conditions have me considering selling my pontoon, I still have a Creek Co. ODC 420 for back-up. I may not get back up for a couple of weeks, but I believe this cold front will trigger a better bite.
Nice Fish Bill!
Scott, don't give up on Davis yet, last year we had our best fall day of fishing right after a 6" snowfall and it was 14 degrees out when we launched in the a.m. What a day that was, later after it warmed up to the upper 30's the shallow water sight fishing was crazy good!