PDA

View Full Version : Use of Polyleaders, versi leaders with different tips

Bluegrass Bill
10-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Folks, It is hard to keep up with all the new equipment and tools we have for fly fishing these days. I just recently became aware of Poly leaders and before that had heard of Rio’s versi leader with different tips. I understand these leaders or tips come in a range of sink rates from floating to extra fast sink rates. Where would the use of a floating tip be used or beneficial? To me these tips would seem to be useful to make various sink tips on a floating fly line. Am I missing something on the benefits and use of these Leaders/tips? Thanks!

chapmag
10-24-2013, 10:39 AM
I use the floating polyleaders for spey casting (snap T, snake roll, etc.) with dry flies or barely sunk wet flies. They weigh more than a mono leader. This makes it easier for me to place the fly with roll-type casts into pockets in streamside trees, etc. It also makes it easier to roll cast with a short line.

But they're a PITA when you snag something and have to break off the fly. The polyleaders plastically deform and they somehow get permanently twisted.