PDA

View Full Version : Where can I rent waders + boots (in a small size)?

Bitter Dave
10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Hola,

I'm looking to introduce a friend to fly fishing. I took her with me to the Fly Fishing Faire in Mammoth last month and she was the only one to catch a fish in her beginner class. I'm planning on fishing the Upper Sac and McCloud in 2 or 3 weekends and she want's to come along.

Does anyone know where I can rent (or borrow or buy for cheap) waders and boots for someone who is 5'1" with a shoe size of 5.5 (womens)? I think this is around the women's small or youth large size.

Thanks,
Dave

dude02
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I know that Ted Fay in Dunsmuir has had wading staffs and rods that they rent. Maybe give Bob a call and see if he does waders and boots. 530.235.2969

amoeba
10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Here's a 1-day listing on fleabay that might work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hodgman-Wadelite-Breathable-Wader-Womens-Small-New-in-Box-/121200093028?pt=US_Hunting_Footwear_Waders&hash=item1c3816a764#ht_184wt_1322

roywest
10-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I hope Kiene's won't mind if I say that FishFirst! in Albany rents waders and boots -- they are sort of on the way to Mammoth for you...

StevenB
10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Ya, Bob at Ted Fay fly shop Dunsmuir, CA. gateway to the Upper Sac and McCloud rents boots and waders (also fly rods, but no longer does wading staffs.).
You should still call to check sizing and reserve them for your desired dates.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
I think mostly destination fly shops seem to rent waders and boots.

Hopefully someone might have some youth or small womens.

The Fly Shop in Redding and the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir are the places you should try for your trip.

Bitter Dave
10-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. I got an offer from Loomis1 for some waders and also Tim@Kiene's. That's awesome.

Bummed about missing the ebay auction, those waders probably would have worked and sold for $13 new. Darn!

A little off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with boot-foot (built in wading boots) waders? I see a pair on ebay with felt soles right now. It would be nice to just get a complete set, but I don't have any experience with boot-foot waders or felt.

Thanks,
Dave

amoeba
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. I got an offer from Loomis1 for some waders and also Tim@Kiene's. That's awesome.

Bummed about missing the ebay auction, those waders probably would have worked and sold for $13 new. Darn!

A little off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with boot-foot (built in wading boots) waders? I see a pair on ebay with felt soles right now. It would be nice to just get a complete set, but I don't have any experience with boot-foot waders or felt.

Thanks,
Dave

In flowing water with an uneven bottom like the McCloud that you mentioned, boot foot waders doesn't work nearly as well as stocking/foot with laced up shoes. They are OK in wetlands or lake shores, or for wading un small pebbles/sand surface.

It all works to some extent if you don't go deep or in fast water. Better than no waders for sure.