PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Davis Lake for a Few days this Saturday !

Bluegrass Bill
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Folks, Now that I have my fly fishing gear back I plan to make the most of it and head to Davis Lake this Saturday for a few days. I know it will start getting real cold soon and I've heard the fishing is still really good now. I planned to use jay fair's wiggle tails with intermediate sink lines, some indicator fishing with Midge pupae and whatever else I hear should or is working well. Any fly/technique recommendations from the experienced Davis Lake anglers at this present time? Thanks folks!

Rockman
10-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey Bill,
I got back Monday nite, fished Mosquito Slough, fish were a bit scattered, did not find any "pods" of fish, but what I did catch were nice fish. A couple of techniques that worked.
1) early a.m., I stripped leaches on int. line on the edge of the channel's in app. 7'-10' of water. Olive wiggle tail, black & rust bead headed buggers.
2) Indicator fishing w/ a Denny Ricards Stillwater nymph on top and a pheasant tail on bottom got my 2 bigger fish.( 20" & 21" and thick!!
3) Floater/no cator, floating line w/ a long leader and a pheasant tail. Toss it up to the shallows, slow hand twist retrieve.
If I wasn'nt heading to Dunsmuir this weekend, I would be back at Davis!
Go get em!!
P.S. Did not know you got your gear back, that is awesome you did!

Bluegrass Bill
10-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey Rockman, Thanks for the advice on fishing Davis! Those techniques all sound great and I will give them all a try over the few days I plan to be there. Yes I am still riding high on getting my gear back. If you look under the post in general fly fishing that is titled “Champagne instead of coffee this morning for breakfast” you will get all the details of how and when I got my gear back. Thanks again!

TPO
10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
I'll be up there too this weekend. I'll be in my 10' porta-note; may bring my tube as we'll. l don't think we'll be alone, this is the first time I couldn't get a room at the Lake Davis resort so I'll be staying in Reno. I'll have my Davis box, full of wooly buggers, wiggle tails, sheep creek specials, hares ear nymphs, blood midge, a few prince nymph's, etc. Good luck up there.

Tom

Rockman
10-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey Tom & Bill, give me a shout if you see me on the lake in my 8' Valco. Its painted dark grey with the name Sweetwater in red on the sides. I'll be up Sat. nite and fishing Sunday & Monday.
Tight Lines!

Scott V
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I'll be there on Sunday launching from Fairview. I'll be in a blue fishcat 4 with a rod rack on the right side.

Bluegrass Bill
10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey Guys, My plan is to fish Sunday, Monday and maybe Tuesday. I will be in a green outcast float tube. I'll look for you guys. Good luck!