PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Reel for Spey

ricards
10-22-2013, 01:04 PM
New to spey. Got a really sweet deal on a slightly used Echo TR 6wt (12'6") spey rod. Looking for an affordable reel for this rod. Also, a recommendation for a good, all-around floating line (head) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Jed Peters
10-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Perfect reel.

http://flyshop.kiene.com/echoionreels.aspx

JasonB
10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Agreed on the Echo Ion reel. What's "all around" for your purposes? Assuming you're talking fall and winter steel here in northern California, a lot of folks opt for more than one line. In the shooting heads, a skagit and a scandi both have their place. Probably just me, but I am not a huge fan of the way skagit heads fish; the thicker the line, the more it can get surfed around in chop and swirls. They do however make it pretty easy to chuck some serious junk out there. Conversely, while I love the way a scandi head casts, and fishes, they are not so fun for winter; casting with heavy tips, and or big flies can be a difficult and tiring job. I did it all winter last year on a 6wt switch rod, and I did hook some steel, so it *can* be done... but I would not recommend it as an optimal setup to anyone.

If you wanted to try and do it all with just one line, I think a person could do quite well with an airflo rage line. It is kind of a "tweener" line, and for my purposes just seems to get the job done on almost everything that I need it to do (from skating, to 15' of T-11 and dumbell eyes). Of course there's a very real chance you'll end up wanting other lines if you really get into the spey thing. Fair warning there
JB

P.S. the above is far from conclusive, just a few snippets from my experiences so far.

Alosa
10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
I've got an echo spey rod and I also paired it up with the Echo Ion reel. Good overall setup. I use a Skagit floating head and have an airflow rage for different applications.

ricards
10-22-2013, 05:18 PM
I've got an echo spey rod and I also paired it up with the Echo Ion reel. Good overall setup. I use a Skagit floating head and have an airflow rage for different applications.

Okay, if understand this correctly, a sink-tip can be added to the Skagit head, but not the Rage compact head? If that's the case, I would opt for a Skagit floating head, and call it a day.

Larry S
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
ricards,

http://flyshop.kiene.com/newairfloragecompacthead.aspx
Best, Larry S

Alosa
10-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Okay, if understand this correctly, a sink-tip can be added to the Skagit head, but not the Rage compact head? If that's the case, I would opt for a Skagit floating head, and call it a day.

I typically put a sinking line on my Skagit head, and use the airflow rage for floating and intermediate lines.

ricards
10-22-2013, 07:59 PM
ricards,

http://flyshop.kiene.com/newairfloragecompacthead.aspx
Best, Larry S

Larry -
Thanks for the info.
- Steve

JasonB
10-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I use sink tips on my rage no problem. For the full story, I'm using a 510gr rage on a beulah 13'2" 7wt, and use 10-15ft of T-11 tips and modestly weighted flies. I do notice that with the same set up there is a definite drop in casting and turn over if I have any really heavily weighted flies.

Scandi heads are the ones that really have trouble with weighted flies and heavy tips. Of course this is all a bit dependent on casting experience, rod length and weight, and line weight. For instance, with your 12' 6wt there will be some limitations on sink tips and heavy flies regardless.
Good luck,
JB

troutless
10-22-2013, 09:28 PM
New to spey. [....] Also, a recommendation for a good, all-around floating line (head) would be appreciated.

What is considered to be an all-around line depends an awful lot on experience level and preferences in casting style. You could make a case for anything from a Skagit Short (20' head) to a NextCast Winter Authority 55 (50'+ heads).

The Rage is a fine suggestion for a one-size-fits-all solution, you can fish it floating, or, you can turn over moderate tips and medium-size flies. But, it does not really excel at either end of the spectrum. There is no free lunch.

Personally I would recommend you get an Airflo Skagit Compact and either an SA Scandi Extreme or Airflo Scandi Compact.

The Skagit will work better than the Rage in very close quarters and/or turning over heavy tips with big flies. A scandi head for floating line work will give you a more delicate presentation and is nice for developing touch-and-go casting skills.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Congratulations Steve...you have a great two handed fly rod there.

Here is our online store page on that rod with reel and line recommendations from our staff.

http://flyshop.kiene.com/echotrspey6126.aspx

As many have mentioned the Echo Ion 6/7 or new 7/9 fly reel for $99.99 is a great choice for your rod.

Then some Dacron backing, a small diameter floating running line and a 450 grain Airflo Rage Compact floating head with a few 10' Poly/Versi leaders we work well for most.

You can order it on line from us or phone it in.

We will mount it all up for you and ship it out that same day with free freight.

If you call us tomorrow you can have it before the weekend.

1-800-400-0359

Open 7 days a week..

ricards
10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone! Lots of options. Lots of different ways to go. I'm sort of getting the impression that I don't need to spend a lot of money on a reel (this is, after all, a lightweight spey rod), and one-size-fits-all in regards to a fly line doesn't work for spey.

Mark Kranhold
10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
That stick will be great for our valley steelhead rivers. A 6wt Spey is my go to stick for our winter runs. Congrats and go stick some fish!

DAVID95670
10-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Lots of options. Lots of different ways to go. I'm sort of getting the impression that I don't need to spend a lot of money on a reel (this is, after all, a lightweight spey rod), and one-size-fits-all in regards to a fly line doesn't work for spey.

you should support the kiene shop and purchase from the store that operates the message board. Thus making this board possible. Not the redding shop get the advise from kiene then buy from kiene.

my politicaly correct response cuz you should support thosr that supply us with this information exchange (eveb if we often dont get along lol)

Or write your questions on a piece of paper and tape it to the doors of the fly shop see if anyone ever replies.

Support those that make this possible this shit is not free

ricards
10-24-2013, 11:51 AM
you should support the kiene shop and purchase from the store that operates the message board. Thus making this board possible. Not the redding shop get the advise from kiene then buy from kiene.

My politicaly correct response cuz you should support thosr that supply us with this information exchange (eveb if we often dont get along lol)

or write your questions on a piece of paper and tape it to the doors of the fly shop see if anyone ever replies.

Support those that make this possible this shit is not free

no comment.

Darian
10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
FYI Ricards,.... Check out the "classifieds" on this BB for the following link:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?31665-Galvan-T-10-and-T-12

Just a thought.... :cool:

ricards
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Darian. A little rich for my blood, however.