PDA

View Full Version : Ketchum/Glacier

Sutterk
10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Again finally getting around to posting the summer's fun. I figure if I risked dropping my phone in the river to get shots of fish I should at least share them. The family and I did the great american road trip in the family truckster complete with dog, which we did not tie to the back bumper as Chevy Chase did. We drove from the bay area to Ketchum Idaho via Elko and stayed in a great condo about 100 yards from the Big Wood river. There weren't specific hatches to speak of except for a consistent evening hatch of small pale caddis. The water is just a fishy as one could hope for and anywhere there should be fish there were. I got a guide one day and my two daughters and I had a great day on the river.

As is required by the fishing deities, even before the guide could string up the rod for my older one and before I could wade to my own spot. My 11 yo hooks and lands likely the biggest fish of the day somewhere between 16-18 inches. Not to worry everyone caught as many fish as they wanted and I couldn't have been happier seeing the guide double over in laughter as she proceeded also to work a little side run and hook into 7 fish and bring 5 to hand. It was a delight to watch them both casting and looking like they new what they were doing. The guide also pointed out other put ins on the river that I went back and fished later with great success. All great healthy wild fish hitting both the dry and the dropper with equal frequency.

After Ketchum we headed up to Glacier National Park, and although I didn't fish much up there except for in the park the fishing was excellent. One lunch I strung up the rod and fished for about an hour and had countless Westslope cutthroats. They must be the prettier cousin of the brook trout. I couldn't believe them, I tied on a royal coachman that I had tied just so see if I could coax some action and within 5 minutes I had a fish. I can't tell you how often I saw these fish jump out of the water just to try to get the fly and then try again on the way back down.

Overall it was a great trip and look forward to going back especially to Ketchum. I hear that the Montana fishing is even better in other parts of the state. If so I need to go there as the fishing I had still has me smiling.

Sutterk
10-20-2013, 06:27 PM
7803780478057806 A couple more pictures

Fly Guy Dave
10-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Nice! Idaho and Montana are some of my favorite places to wet a line, I try and make it back that way every summer. I've had some epic days on the Big Wood, once I managed to get there during a green drake hatch and it was absolutely insane! There is plenty of world-class trout water on the way up to Glacier as well. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave

Bluegrass Bill
10-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Brad, thanks for sharing about your trip! My wife and I have set our goal on going to Glacier this next year so it was great to hear about the good fishing there. I will no doubt have some questions for you about your trip before we do it next year. thanks again.