PDA

View Full Version : NF Feather Report

Jeff F
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Solo trip to the NFF on Saturday. On the water by 10am. Gorgeous day, with no wind, which is rare in that canyon! Water conditions perfect in the Rock Ck section. A little high in the Grizzly section. Witnessed a massive midge hatch, sporadic hatches of PMD's, and saw a handful of orange Tobbies fluttering around.

As for the fishing......it was excellent. The NFF rainbows are definitely some of the hardest fighting fish around. I managed about 15 fish for the day, all solid healthy rainbows in the 14-17" range. I was broken off by the biggest NF trout I've ever encountered. I got a good look at it too.....easily 20". The tail on this thing was massive! Looked like a steelhead. Oh well.....I know where he lives.

The hot fly was a #14 orange poopah. I did raise a few nice fish on a Tobbie dry also (orange Stimi). So, they're definitely lookin' for the Octobers. Not a single squawfish hooked. So, that's a good sign for the NFF. Not a single other fisherman seen either, which is always a good thing too.

~Jeff

EricO
10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
The last fish is a nice hanger Jeff. I was living varcariously thru you at my desk.

EO

Darian
10-20-2013, 01:57 PM
You were very fortunate to have all of that beautiful water, the fish and scenery to yourself. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
One of my fishing buddies says his favorite time on the NFF is October.

JasonB
10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Nice report there, sounds like quite the day of fishing. Some beautiful fish there too!
Thanks for sharing that,
JB

Jeff C.
10-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Hey Fisher! You slayed 'em. Wish I could have gone with you but the work around the house had to get done. The spinker was a piece of cake but the side gate required putting in a new post.

Jeff F
10-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey Fisher! You slayed 'em. Wish I could have gone with you but the work around the house had to get done. The spinker was a piece of cake but the side gate required putting in a new post.

Yep. You missed a good trip, bro. As did my other so-called fishing buddies who "couldn't make it" (you know who you are, MARK AND ERIC!!!!) :cool:

I may head up there one more time, if the weather stays like it is. You better go next time, Jeffrey! I want another shot at the big boy. Maybe get my two flies back that are more than likely still in his lip!

wineslob
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I was broken off by the biggest NF trout I've ever encountered. I got a good look at it too.....easily 20". The tail on this thing was massive!

Is that all?

;)

Bluegrass Bill
10-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Hey Jeff, Thanks for sharing your awesome day fishing with all of us. I haven't fished the NF feather in a long time but love the look of that water. The middle fork of the feather is one of my favorite rivers as well, much tougher to get to though.

craigfalk
10-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Jeff, Thanks for a great report. I know what you mean about the strength of those fish. I've been broken off by sizable fish in that river. They seem to find a boulder and fast. Landing a 17" rainbow in that river takes skill - well done.

BobVP
10-23-2013, 09:19 AM
It has been too long since I fished that area.
From the size of the water I presume this is the NFF below Almanor(?)

Jeff F
10-23-2013, 10:45 AM
It has been too long since I fished that area.
From the size of the water I presume this is the NFF below Almanor(?)

Bob, this is the section along Hwy 70 between Belden and Lake Oroville. Yes.....way below Almanor.

wineslob
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking above Rock Creek PD.