PDA

View Full Version : Reward for lost Rubbermaid fly Fishing Gear Box!!

Bluegrass Bill
10-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Yesterday was one of the worst days I have experienced in many years. I had a fishing trip planned with a friend and had packed my gear box up with all my essential fly fishing gear needed, waders, fly fishing vest, with fly boxes, gear bag with reels, etc, float tube fins, etc. I get sicker all the time thinking about the gear in that box. I put the box in the back of my truck and did not put my tailgate up immediately thinking I would be loading a few more things in the pickup bed. I was late and in a rush going back in the house to gather a few more things. When I came back out I threw those few things into the cab and forgot I had not closed the tail gate! Yep it slide out the back of my bed probably early in my route on Folsom Boulevard near Watt avenue as the pickup bed is slick as is the bottom of my Rubbermaid gear box. When I got to my friends house you can only imagine the horror I felt walking to the back of my truck and seeing the tailgate down and no box! I immediately retraced my route and the box was nowhere to be found. I believe it stayed together as there was no trace of any scattering of the gear. I believe it was picked up by someone and I am praying it will be returned as I do have Identification in the box with my fishing license. I will be sharing this information at both Kiene’s and American River Fly fishing Shops today. I am grasping at straws trying to figure out any other things I can do to try to get the word out that might help in getting my gear back. I won’t be doing any fly fishing for some time if I am not successful.

Bill Ward, 3029 Nikol Street, Sacramento, CA (916) 769-0280

Bluegrass Bill
10-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Here is a photo of what my gear box looks like

k9mark
10-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Watt and Folsom...oh man...positive thoughts...May I suggest you start scanning craigslist, et al.

Dave E.
10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Bill,

There are some outstanding people out there. A couple of years ago while cycling the AR parkway I got a phone call on the cell. I stopped to take the call ( it was a buddy I was on my way to meet ) and when I put the cell away in my saddle bag, my wallet dropped out without me knowing it. That evening, without even realizing my wallet had gone missing, there came a knock at our front door. An unknown man stood there and asked me if I was Dave. When I answered in the affirmative, he said, “ You look like your photo “. then he handed over my wallet, that contained over four hundred in cash, credit cards, personal id etc.,
His wife had found it while cycling that afternoon.

I’m wishing you the same good fortune, Dave

Mark Kranhold
10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I feel for you Bill, couldn't imagine! Good luck and I hope your gear finds you.

Bluegrass Bill
10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. There are indeed good folks out there. As I am thinking back on yesterday a more sinister scenario is starting to raise its ugly head. After loading my box in the back of my truck I was in the house for at least 5 minutes having my wife bandage my right hand after scraping it in my garage being in a hurry to get loaded. During that time, my box was in the back of my truck facing the street. While initially I did not consider the possibility of someone just grabbing it during that time I am now starting to think that could be very real scenario. I used that box to take a trip to Alaska a number of years ago and put my name address and phone number actually on the box to make sure it would not get lost in flight. Thinking about that I was pretty sure I would get a call last night if indeed my original scenario was what happened. As I try to remember exactly what I did after loading the box I am not sure I actually did not shut the tailgate. I just assumed I must not have as I did not see any other way it could be gone, except until this morning the very real possibility that it was gone before I even left!! If I am not contacted today I am afraid that would be the more likely scenario of what really happened. I am sure a thief would have not taken the time to close the tailgate after grabbing my box. I have heard stories about that happening more and more these days. I shared the information with both fly shops as well this morning. Thanks Guys

k9mark
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Seriously, scan Craigslist. If you see anything you believe is yours, call and act like a buyer. Then call your local law enforcement and see if they have a unit to standby while you go to look at the items. If it is, leave and have the local swoop in on them.

jbird
10-19-2013, 03:44 PM
You should contact the police to file a potential stolen property report and contact your insurance company. If I remember correctly, when I had some tools lifted out of my pickup in my driveway, I dealt with my homeowners insurance.

Positive thoughts headin your way. Tough deal!

Bluegrass Bill
10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks Mark and Jay. I did check Craigs list and saw nothing at this time. Jay I had similar advice about filing a police report and working with my insurance company and have started that process making a list of the items lost and their value. All I can say is a big time OUCH!

BobVP
10-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Bill,
I am so sorry to hear this.
I will hold onto hope that someone finds it and returns it to you.

Bluegrass Bill
10-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Folks,

As you can see from my new post this morning, "Champagne instead of coffee this morning" Prayers were answered this morning with the return of my fly fishing box! Thanks to all of you for your comments of comfort and encouragement.

Now I can go fishing again!

Bill