PDA

View Full Version : Davis was GREAT Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RenoLipRipper
10-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Awesome day on the water. Out at 7, a bit cold but nothing like Crowley was a couple of weeks ago. Left and about 2 and no wind to speak of. Water temp ranged from 49 to 52. Fished Mosquieto Slough (sp) north eastern area of lake. Glad the pooper was open at Fairview. Amazed at how many tubes and boats were in the area. The word is out it is good. Water clarity fair to good. A bit of algae at Fairview from shore out about 50 feet or so. Then clear. Way better than Crowley. Got some nice bows to net, one was about 20 inches, no copods, very strong and awesome fish. Most were on a black wolly bugger, with some sparkle, size 8. Full sink, cortand 444 camo, very slow sink rate, (1.5) inches per second. Also floating line, just your average leach pattern. One guide boat was spanken them. Many guys using a wiggle tail or some version of it. Watch out for the wasps, had a bunch by my truck when leaving. Get out there and good luck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2013, 06:13 PM
It is October 17 now and in a month it will be too cold up there.

We made that mistake some years ago.

Rockman
10-17-2013, 08:18 PM
I went up last Sat. nite, it snowed about 2" overnight, but was melting fast, but it was still very cold & windy. I launched my 8' pram at Jenkins along with Jamie's Fish-Cat. Fishing was slow for us and water conditions were tough. I learned a lesson the hardway, don't use old leaders, lost 4 nice fish on 3x leaders that I bought at an estate sale and did not know there age. Monday nite was colder and we had fog & frost, temps in the upper 20's. Drove over to Fairview, on the way I got passed on the left side of the gravel road by a bald eagle and had him land about 100' ahead of me, did not have time to change lenses so I popped off a couple of quich shots with my 70mm lens, later after getting out on the water, I saw him swooping down on trout. My first fish was I believe one of his targets, his side was ripped open by a talon, part of his guts were sticking out, but what blew me away was this fish was so hot! What a fight and his side is ripped open. That's Davis fish for ya, they are a blast to catch. The photo I posted of the float tube in the morning light was an unknown angler who got out a few minuets before us. If you know who you are in the photo, p.m. me an I'll send you the original photo. We did not do as well as others, I believe I may have been stripping the fly to slow, but I plan on going back up this weekend. Glad others did better, such a great place to go.77717772777377747775
P.S. My camper was a wasp magnet, they were trying to get in everytime we opened the door.

Troutstalker55B
10-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Mike,

It was great to see you out there! That was one hell of a show you put on out there, you're like a vacuum cleaner!

Thanks for the report, see ya soon - J.

RenoLipRipper
10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice pic of the eagle. That is what being out in nature is all about.
As far as stripping, I was trying slow, fast, etc.. Seemed some were just doing a wind drift.
Not alot of people use sinking lines out there. Maybe because of the shallowness.

Luv2Fish
10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Davis will fish well until it starts icing up around the edges and as cold as you can stand it. Fish the East side of the lake in the fall. The water is a bit deeper over there so during this time of year when the water is lower, it fishes better than the West side. I've found a cinnamon colored wiggly tail or seal bugger fly on an intermediate line is money in the fall. We do need a good storm to come through to kick the fish in the butt to really get in fall feeding mode, though.

FRSam
10-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Hey Mike...haven't seen you in a bit...sounds like you're still sucking 'em up with that magic wand of yours. Hopefully I'll run into you one of these days and we can compare notes.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

flyguy1
10-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Hey Pete
at our family home in cromberg this weekend. Going to Davis today, any pointers, where, what to use, etc. I usually fish Jenkins, never tried the east and north side. Thanks for any input, you can send me a PM is you wish

Thanks

Scott K

FRSam
10-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Hey Scott you've almost got the lake in your backyard. Jenkins is certainly popular but the lake has so much more to offer. It's much more fun to explore it on your own. If you haven't got a boat then take a hike along the west side shore line from Jenkins toward Cow Creek or from Cow Creek toward Grizzly Creek. You'll really learn the lake and appreciate it that much more. You're close enough so it's a short drive which gives you the opportunity to really investigate. I think you'll find it so much more rewarding to figure things out on your own. There's no better feeling than discovering fish and figuring out what's working.

I'm really not trying to be evasive but rather trying to encourage you to get out there and explore. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you find and if you pay close attention how easy it really can be.

There's a lot of good information on Davis in this Stillwater section alone. Beyond that I would refer to my good friend Jonny B, have look at his blog, lots of good information there and if you'd like a good primer try and book an outing.

http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

Have a great time, as you know the weather couldn't be any nicer and the fishing has been very good but this weekend is going to be crowded.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

flyguy1
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info Pete. We fished Cow creek and Jenkins Saturday. No fish to hand, and a couple of hits. I did'nt see any fish caught by others. People I talked to said the fishing shut off on Saturday. Very nice weather and beautiful colors though. We were going to fish the feather, but the flows are very low. Thanks again

Scott K