PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a decision.

bmcclintic
10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I am looking at spending some time over the weekend on the water but would like to get some input on where. Thinking about the Yuba or the Feather. Does anyone have some fresh intel on these two rivers? Anyone going to be on either of these rivers this weekend? Thanks.

Dragking
10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I haven't been to the Yuba in a long time, but the reports from the last week or two have been outstanding (eggs and dries). I fished the Feather (low flow) the weekend before last, and I would say there was too many salmon in there to effectively steelhead fish. Two weeks will have gone by, so query whether the river is good to go. Finally, the Lower Sac is supposed to be lights out. I would say if you are in a boat, think about the Lower Sac. If you are wading, think about the Yuba (it probably won't be this good for long, and the Feather likely will get progressively better in the next 6 weeks or so).

My two cents. I don't think you can go wrong in any case.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Lower Sac, Lower Feather and Lower Yuba have all been good.

Lower American might pick up when the Salmon get thicker but for now it has not been that good.

They have had a good fall season for Steelhead on the Klamath and Rogue Rivers.

Trinity is low and tougher right now.

Smitty Fish
10-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I have been having luck swinging soft hackles lower Yuba.

bmcclintic
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks Fellas. The Yuba it is. I will report back after the weekend.

Jeff C.
10-17-2013, 08:54 AM
The spawning salmon are still too thick in the Low Flow. I'm going to wait until they are gone.

Smitty Fish
10-17-2013, 09:41 AM
I'll be at Hammond grove this sat.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2013, 10:00 AM
When the salmon are spawning you need to use an egg imitation but before and after that time you can swing flies.

After about 60 days from the main spawning time we can use small salmon alvin imitations in the valley rivers.