PDA

View Full Version : Coloma

Desmo13
10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello,

I'm normally a delta/north coast/ central oregon fisherman, but find my self going camping at Coloma this weekend. Any tips for me? I will be camping at the place across the one lane bridge.

jerry from sac
10-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Famous people like Wyatt Earp, newspaperman William Randolph Hearst, murdered San Francisco mayor George Moscone, and blue-jean king Levi Strauss are buried in Coloma. Probably your best bet.

Grateful Trout
10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Famous people like Wyatt Earp, newspaperman William Randolph Hearst, murdered San Francisco mayor George Moscone, and blue-jean king Levi Strauss are buried in Coloma. Probably your best bet.

Are you thinking Colma on those dead guys? I'm pretty sure none of the people on this list are buried in Coloma. As far as fishing goes, I work within a few miles of Coloma and I always head up the hill (as in Highway 50) and fish waters in that direction.

Darian
10-15-2013, 08:18 PM
A quick search of the archives produced the following link to a nice Trout taken near Coloma:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?30941-Nice-large-wild-Brown-trout-on-the-South-Fork-of-the-American-River&highlight=Trout+fishing+Coloma

Try searching Trout fishing Coloma or Coloma by itself for other posts/threads.

Good luck.... :cool:

JasonB
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I live near there and fish it a bit, although I too normally head up the hills for a fishing fix near Coloma. I'm happy to answer any PM's if you care, not that there's any big secrets or anything. There are some big browns, and a few nice sized bows too. There is also a TON of algae "debris" drifting in the water; sometimes a big problem other times a minor hassle. It is a very hit and miss fishery for me, mostly miss. There are also a TON of people, both on shore and in the water. Things are much mellower now, but on weekends there are still quite a few kayakers making use of some of the only boatable WW flows in the whole state right now. If this is going to annoy you I'd recommend fishing before the release from the dam hits Coloma: about 10:30-12:00 depending on where you are between the campground and greenwood creek, the further downstream you go the later the water shows up. This can be a good time for certain, and it's worth hucking some big ugly streamers, as you never know just who might come out of the shadows. Just don't expect any great numbers or anything...
Good luck,
JB