PDA

View Full Version : Open Pit Mine on the Smith....

Darian
10-14-2013, 01:26 PM
An article in the VIEWPOINTS section of yesterday's SacBee reported that a British mining company has applied for permits to mine nickel on one of the tributaries of the Smith River in California. The mine would be the open pit type, located on the part of the tributary in southern Oregon. Seems like this proposal would impact the wilderness area in southern Oregon, as well. Check out the article:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/13/5812749/viewpoints-water-in-redwood-country.html

I recall reading about the mineral deposits in that area many years ago but always thought that the supposed protections placed on the Smith River in the past would stop this sort of proposal.... :(

Larry S
10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Darian,
Very troubling, indeed. Have read that it would also impact Oregon's Illinois River.
Best,
Larry S

Darian
10-15-2013, 08:11 PM
If I recall the geography of the area where the proposed mine would be correctly, it could affect many rivers and streams in southern OR and northern CA. Since it would be a large, open pit mine, it could conceivably impact tributaries of the Klamath up river from Orleans and the Klamath itself.

Well, maybe the people behind the rebellion (State of Jefferson) will have enough sense to realize just how much potential environmental damage would occur to their area (....but I'm not holding my breath). :(