PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sacramento River is wide open with the egg drop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-14-2013, 07:56 AM
My friends Bruce & Sally Rollans of Stockton, CA go every year in mid-October with guide Todd Cancilla to the Lower Sac and drift for 2 days.

They landed nearly 100 wild Rainbow trout from 15 to 24 inches in two days.

I think it's time to go........

** World class fly fisher Mike Mercer @ The Fly Shop in Redding, CA told me that October was his favorite month on the Lower Sac.

Lance Gray
10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
My friends Bruce & Sally Rollans of Stockton, CA go every year in mid-October with guide Todd Cancilla to the Lower Sac and drift for 2 days.

They landed nearly 100 wild Rainbow trout from 15 to 24 inches in two days.

I think it's time to go........

** World class fly fisher Mike Mercer @ The Fly Shop in Redding, CA told me that October was his favorite month on the Lower Sac.

Bill your right, October is the bomb. I was out on the river today. We are on pass for that 100 fish mark. Will be back out with the same fellows tomorrow. Nice big healthy fish - all wild with steelhead mixed in. What can be better than that!!

Lance Gray
10-16-2013, 07:29 PM
7764Just updating the readers.

The second day was just as good as the first. Lots of fish. Landed three small steelhead at my buddy's John's riffle and the rest is history. Hot flies - brown rubber legs size 4, yes size 4 - I tie my rubber legs on a TMC 5262 Size 4, same body as the 5263 6 but a bigger gap!! It helps. Also the other top flies are the Lance's X-May Olive Size 16, Gray's X-Cali Size 16, and Ray's Soft Hackle Farmer John Size 14. Not much on eggs. We landed a couple of fish on eggs - but nothing to talk about. The X-May recipe is on my website. Great fly. We fish it in brown, red and black!

Back on the river tomorrow. I will send in a report!!