PDA

View Full Version : Lots of new trout spey/switch who likes what?

donkeyhunter007
10-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some good feedback on lighter switch/spey lets say 5 weight or less. I got a 4 wt echo dec hogan last year and I dig it, 290 SGS scandi and it shoots line OUT. The dec hogan is pretty medium/ slow action.

Mark Kranhold
10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Donkey, I'm digging Anderson's trout speys. I am swinging his 1172 2wt. 1214 4wt. and his 1255 5wt. Gary has the trout speys dialed! One thing I have noticed with sub 300 grains is finding the right running line for shoot ability, plus the loop to loop connections on heads. This especially on the 2 wt. I had Godshall use a smaller diameter material for my loops on my head, before with the standard loops it felt like I was going to snap off the tip of the rod at the tip top guide. The loop was hanging up and bending the soft tip when reeling in a fish. The new loops work flawlessly! The 2 wt. throws a 220 gr SGS skandit, I switched over to 50# p-line hydrafloat for a running line ...can you say smokin! What a diffrence, this little stick can cover some water now! Fun stick, even on 18" half pounders!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-06-2013, 09:53 AM
I just noticed that the Echo Switch Rods (SR) come in 10'6" #3 line for 2014

Most 4 weight Switch rods are very light......

We don't recommend starting out with thiese small two-handed rods unless you only want to fish for trout.

They are a little harded to learn on.....

winxp_man
10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Love the #4 Sage One switch rod....

Also it can cast scandi lines with no problem at all!

Mark Kranhold
10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Also it can cast scandi lines with no problem at all![/QUOTE]
I would hope so!

golfish
10-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Also it can cast scandi lines with no problem at all!
I would hope so!

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I have a few short speys/switch rods, meiz 11' 4/5, TFO 12'6" 4/5, Versaspey 12'6" 5/6, Sage One 5116. I had a beulah 4/5 classic too which I sold and wish I didn't. ACR built me a sage 9'9" with a telescopic bottom grip too but I haven't messed with spey line for it. The TFO and meiz are my trouters, mostly softhackles on a scandi type head but sometimes a skagit head with T8. Throwing snake rolls and singles with the TFO is especially fun when fishing for trout.

These light rods can be harder to line, takes some expermenting, SGS can help alot in this area. Wouldn't recommend people learning on these light rods either. Also, shooting line is more critical as the head is so light, still haven't found the perfect one yet, if anyone has suggestions for a light shooting line let me know. Anyone try P-line Hydrofloat? Mostly been using 25lb BG.

I'm having a 9' 5/6 blank converted to a nano double hander ala one skagitmaster's latest obsession. Should be done this week, will be interesting.

Mark Kranhold
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Golfish, the p-line hydrafloat is sweet for the trout speys. It is pretty fine diameter which takes some getting use to but we'll worth it. If you go that route definatly get the 50# do to diameter. It's cheap and one spool will be enough for 2 reels. I think it was $10-$12

briansII
10-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Recently picked up a ACR 1173. I haven't had much time on it, but it's a very fun rod to cast and fish. Very light, with a softer tip than the ACR 1215 I have.....which is currently back at ACR for a tip replacement. :-( When Gary ships the 5wt back, I'm going to have him send a lighter SGS head for the 1173. I'm currently using a 260(+-) now, but want to try something lighter. The 5wt is a blast to use. I've used a skagit on the 5wt, but much prefer a scandi(with or without a tip)on the rod.

I also have a Redington CPX 10'6" 5wt switch. It's a fun rod too, but does not see the water much now that I have the ACRs.

Thanks to Mark K. above, I heard about the P-line Hydro Float. Being a fused spectra line, it's a bit on the stiff/kinky side, but does not tangled like some mono lines. It floats, and shoots exceptionally well with the light heads. Cheap too!

briansII

golfish
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Golfish, the p-line hydrafloat is sweet for the trout speys. It is pretty fine diameter which takes some getting use to but we'll worth it. If you go that route definatly get the 50# do to diameter. It's cheap and one spool will be enough for 2 reels. I think it was $10-$12

Thanks Mark, I heard about this from some long line guys at GGACC, they were playing around with it on their comp rods. Forgot what test they were using but it felt like dental floss, LOL. I will give it a try in 50#.

---ted

troutless
10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't recommend people learning on these light rods either.

Just curious, but, why?

ps. ACR rules trout spey.

hwchubb
10-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Can't speak for everyone and their rods, but I've fished a meiser 11' 4/5 for the last 3 years and found it takes a much lighter, slower stroke than even my meiz 2 handlers, which are more full-flex than most. If I had started with the light switch, I doubt that I would have stayed with it, as it is trickier to load, and I assume that is the case for most of the lighter switch / speys. That said, it's probably the first rod I've fished that I try to match the water to the rod rather than vice versa. The light 2 handlers are a sheer joy to fish and, once in a while, actually fight a fish with.

golfish
10-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Just curious, but, why?

ps. ACR rules trout spey.

Not saying it can't be done, I just think it's easier to get a beginner to learn on a longer rod with a heavier line. Easier to feel the load thus easier to get timing down for TnG or SA, more lifting power with a longer rod if you'e trying to throw tips, just my opinion based on personal experience, YMMV.

I don't think there are alot of bad rods out there these days, it's all about the rod/line match for your casting stroke.

DAVID95670
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
are a sheer joy to fish.

Sage One 5116-4 is amazing to cast however Mine broke fighting a fish and it never saw a weighted fly. Sage was kind enough to waive the fee to fix it however I am reconsidering owning sage Ones. I have seen all mine break multiple times over the last year. I own four.

Orvis Helios spey rods are my next try.

Jeff C.
10-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage Z-Axis 5110 is my trout stick. It is a lot studier than a One. I've used mine on the Big Truckee and it's prefect for a big trout river. I even use it from a boat tossing 28 ft. of LC-13 and has landed shad up to 5 lbs.

golfish
10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Sage One 5116-4 is amazing to cast however Mine broke fighting a fish and it never saw a weighted fly. Sage was kind enough to waive the fee to fix it however I am reconsidering owning sage Ones. I have seen all mine break multiple times over the last year. I own four.

Orvis Helios spey rods are my next try.

Wow! Multiple breaks? Doesn't Sage claim the ONE is stronger? I recently picked up a 5116 too, 4 hot chromers to 30" and a bunch of half pounders so far with no issues. You can bet I'll looking at it real close now.