PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac/McCloud?

JohnD
10-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Anyone been up there lately? Heading up on Friday for a few days and was wondering how the water was. Anything blown out with the recent unsettled weather? Octobers around? Any info appreciated.

Bitter Dave
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I get my report from here: http://www.tedfay.com/guidenotes.html

Sounds like it should be picking up. Report back since I plan on heading there soon.

Jeff Stephens
10-01-2013, 11:11 PM
CFFU is heading up their with a group Fri,Sat and Sun......was there a couple of weeks ago ...... Standard nymphing rigs. Jimmy legs ,Bills Stick caddis, small mayfly patterns.....small PMD hatches in the evening.

CW
10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Buddy and I fished U Sac hard this past weekend, multiple exits, lots of hiking, lots of driving.

Our timing wasn't perfect, the fishing was ok. Our average size fish 10", we got a few that made the trip. One on top on caddis, nothing on streamers. Saw lots of October caddis at dark, but couldn't get anything to eat ...

Olive S&M #18 caught most of the fish (keep this on the whole time), and then caddis #16 in the evenings (we used Silvey's in tan and black), but pretty sure anything along these lines would work. We didn't get anything on the bigger bugs like stones or October caddis.

Good luck.

JohnD
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Back from a weekend of fishing. The upper sac fished ok, but smaller avg fish size that I'm used to. Fished La Moine, Gibson, and Prospect access points. Lots of octobers bouncing off the water up near Prospect in the evening but didn't get any interest fishing a dry.
McCloud was apparently blown out on Friday, but fishable on Saturday. However, I had my most frustrating day in 10 years, and only managed one fish before we gave up and moved on. I'm sure others did well, I just had a bad day that started off with finding the only other person on the water in the spot I wanted to start at, taking an unplanned swim, and losing my hat. All by about 9:30.
Weather was fantastic. Down near freezing in the morning, but sunny and comfortable the rest of the day.

Rockman
10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I'll agree with John, the fishing is great, the catching in not. I just got home from fishing Prospect this p.m. and only rose 2 fish on the Oct. caddis. Lots of caddis coming off, the fish were just not on them yet. This front coming in should raise the water and cool it down. This may help if it does not snow down as low as Dunsmuir. Snow level at this time is forcasted at 4000'. Fished Lake Siskiyou on Sunday, I usually get alot of fish, but not this weekend, it too, fished slow. Thats all folks!

Rockman