PDA

View Full Version : New Waders - Reco's

steveg137
10-01-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a pair of now slightly leaking Reddington waders, probably 3 seasons old but not use too often. They have small leak in the left sock.

I've not purchased expensive waders before but think I'll take the plunge on Simm's or Patagonia. I see the sonic waders are getting lots of hype. I can probably get by without zippered models.

Any recommendations?

Do both Patagonia and Simm's have warranties for leaks etc?

Thanks,
Steve

shawn kempkes
10-01-2013, 09:50 AM
send them back to redington for repairs. Their socks were a well known defect in their waders prior to the sonic pro's coming out.

Bob Loblaw
10-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I have three seasons on my pair of cheapo Redington waders and they are holding up great. I've patched them a couple of times and repaired the seal on the butt with aquaseal, but they keep me very dry indeed.

I really like the look and the price point of the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. They are convertible to hip waders with a simple adjustment and have a lot of the features you only find in $500 Simms models. Not sure about the materials or the build quality though. I was thinking about getting a pair but the old $120 Redingtons refuse to die!

Ralph
10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey Steve-
Both Simms and Patago have basically the same warrantee. I think it's one year unconditional and lifetime for manufacture's defects. Repairs are reasonable. Waders are so good anymore that I would look for perfect fit before getting hung up on any brand. I have zipped Simms and Redington and neither is long enough to be considered a relief zipper (maybe I'm not long enough to get relief). I wouldn't buy zippers again, they are stiff, both brands weep when facing into strong current, and I haven't found much functionality.

We have racks of all brands and styles of waders for our student's use. My personal favorite is the Simms guide G3 followed by the Redington Sonic Pro. Patago are probably great, but they simply don't fit me very well. I think a lot of folks go overboard and buy super duty waders that are stiff, hot, and heavy when a lighter, less expensive model will work just as well.

Bitter Dave
10-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I've had a pretty good experience with Patagonia waders. I brought my first pair (SST+) maybe 12 years ago. After two years the knees were seeping water a little due to some thorns I ran across. I sent them back to Patagonia to be repaired and they sent me a gift card for more than what I bought the waders for. The next pair lasted 10 more years of light fishing until the feet began to leak. I sent them to Patagonia to replace the feet and 5 weeks later I got a brand new pair of waders shipped to my door. So basically I've been able to get 12 years of wader use from a single purchase.

I haven't tried any other brands, but I do feel that the fit of the Patagonia waders are a little large. They seems to be a little baggy in the leg and chest area for me, but I'm on the tall/thin side.

BTW, I have two pairs of brand new Patagonia waders for sale, large and medium/long if you are interested.

Scott V
10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I won't waste my money on Simms anymore. I had a pair of boots wear-out in less than one season and they refused to warranty them. I had them for maybe 7 months and the sides blew out. They were the lightweight boots. Simms can go under for all I care.

steveg137
10-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll send the reddington's back for repair and look to trade up once they're done.

steveg137
10-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Dave I sent you pm re Patagonias.

Steve

winxp_man
10-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a pair of now slightly leaking Reddington waders, probably 3 seasons old but not use too often. They have small leak in the left sock.

I've not purchased expensive waders before but think I'll take the plunge on Simm's or Patagonia. I see the sonic waders are getting lots of hype. I can probably get by without zippered models.

Any recommendations?

Do both Patagonia and Simm's have warranties for leaks etc?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve anything man made will have problems its how it is. :) Heck even natures has its flaws...

This being said I own a pair of Palix Redington waders and the Sonic Pro waders. I have fished the Sonic Pros for a year and no problem at all. Plenty of times when it was my problem but Redington took care of any issues I came across without any problems and they were real quick about getting the waders back to me.

DAVID95670
10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
My patagonia waders have not gone 8weeks before leaking. They have replaced them twice.

It sucks to wait for repairs. Nice people product sucks.

I fish a lot. Maybe too much. I wore a litespeed reel out it is going in to replace drag.

Info for you.

steveg137
10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
David, I DREAM of wearing out the drag on a reel! I think that's what we'd call a good fisherperson's problem!

:)