PDA

View Full Version : Upper Feather Sat 9.28 - Kayak Convention!

steveg137
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Drove up to UF on Sat for the first time, started to notice few kayakers on cars during the drive, then one of two in the water, then few more in the lower campgrounds - by the time we go to Belden we found out there were ~1,000 of them that weekend for some event.

Had to divert to Deer Creek for some fishing to salvage something out of the day - long day of driving for very little fishing.

I don't mind Kayakers using the river would just like to find out about these events in the future. There was no point fishing that weekend at all.

Anyone know where can get advance notice in the future? Might need to check kayers forums I guess.

Steve

Jeff F
10-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Steve,

Put "Dreamflows" in your favorites list. It's a site made for whitewater guys, but I, and I'm sure most others on this Board, use it to check real-time stream flows. They also list the "Events" like the one you experienced on the North Fork Feather.

aaron
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Featherfest is a great time, been going on for years. Plenty of productive water to hit above Belden that would have been just a tad further drive.

steveg137
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Jeff & Aaron, thanks for the advice - dreamflows it is!

Didn't realize could have fished it above Belden.

Cheers, Steve

roywest
10-01-2013, 08:19 PM
BTW, the Dreamflows guy maintains his site as a gift to the community. I sent him a small check last year as a thank-you. He was surprised and delighted. Think about it.

joshfish
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
You can also check American whitewater for events like that.

TTM
10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
How is the upper feather this time of year? Planning a trip there from the bay this weekend?

Jeff F
10-08-2013, 08:01 AM
TTM,

The NFF in the canyon section (Belden to Pulga) is tough to figure out. I've been fishing there for a long time now, and still am befuddled by those fish sometimes. Early season (opening day through late May) is pretty solid if the river's not blown. Then as the water warms in summer, the squawfish tend to take over all the good trout lies, so I go elsewhere. Fall??? You would think it would be excellent and it can be. But it's all timing on that river. Those fish move around ALOT in my experience and can be extremely finicky and very very sensitive to the slightest change of air pressure. Moreso than any trout I've gone after. There are some runs and stretches of pocket water on that river that look like they should be loaded with fish, but sometimes, they're just not there. So, the moral of the story here is, move around until you find fish, change flies until you find what works, and if all else fails.....dead drift a #14-#16 pinkish colored softhackle under an indicator.

EricO
10-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Agreed. I've been there were fishing was consistent during the day.
Then you could see a small weather front blow down the canyon.

End result: Complete lockjaw and end of fishing for the day. Strange how sensitive they are.

EO