PDA

View Full Version : William land and south side park ponds - sacramento

ladalske
09-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Has anyone fished these ponds? I was thinking it could be a good spot for the kids. I read in 2011 they stock them with trout in the winter.... Does this still happen?

Thanks,

Darian
09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Never fished either one of them but I have participated in a fishing day for kids at Land Park by a club. Land Park is relatively small and shallow. The bank is a straight drop-off into shallow water that slants into a center area where a drain/recycle pump sits. Water is relatively clear. The only fish in that pond appear to be stockers that slowly disappear until stocked again. Not sure if there's a regular stocking schedule for Land Park Pond. If your kids are young, they'll require a pfd or your full attention to keep them from falling in.

South Side Park Pond is larger/deeper. The banks are similar to Land Park Ponds banks. A low chain link fence surrounds the pond for safety. There are wide areas in the walkway surrounding the pond for casting, etc. The water in this pond is somewhat murky. There are fish in the pond but, again, I can't say whether it's stocked regularly or not.

Both ponds are surrounded by grassy areas and are visited by the usual array of water birds (spell that poop shooters). Watch where your kids play or put there feet. ;) I wouldn't stay late to fish at South Side Park....

IMO, there're a lot better locations to take a kid fishing in a relatively short distance from either of those ponds. :cool:

ladalske
10-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Darian,

Where do you recommend for kid fishing?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Some of these ponds are stocked with trout during the winter.

Rancho Seco is a ways south of town.

Mather Pond is out Hwy 50.

Cameron Park Pond is a good one up Hwy 50

The Arden Pond at the east end of Arden Way is nice.

Big M Fishing is the best but cost like $15.....north of Roseville.

Darian
10-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Since you're centrally located, I'll name some local ponds that you can take a look at. There's Arden Ponds located at the foot of Arden Ave along the American River. You can also access the ponds from the footbridge over the river from the former Goethe Park side. The shoreline looks a bit rough but has a fishing pier (landing???). Stocked Trout, Sunnies & Bass available.

Further downstream from Gristmill is some slow water on the north side of the river behind Rio Americano Hi School.

Mather pond is an alternative for spring and early summer. Usual suspects. Good for kids along the shoreline which looks fairly gentle. Can be good fishing from the bank at times. Too many poop shooters for me tho.

Not sure if they still do but the city used to maintain a pond at roughly the end of North Watt Ave., Johnson Ranch I believe. Strictly for kid fishing. Also, used to have a great public swimming pool.

One slough that's off West El Camino (just west of I5) is Fisherman's Cut/Slough(??). When I first moved here in 1974, I fished it with bait for Crappie. It was very good back then. Haven't fished it for about 25 years but I still see people parked along the bank, bait fishing. Easy access.

There're lots of sloughs in the Elk Grove area. Some along parkways. I used to spend many hours with my son on sloughs in that area when he was growing up. There's always Rancho Seco....

West Sacto has a couple of ponds, too. One, off south Jefferson to the east side, is visible from the roadway and the bike trail. It's near the intersection where the Pheasant Club is located. I've seen a few people fishing there but never anything caught. Looks productive tho.

Some of these ponds/sloughs require a map to locate access points. The city/county ponds charge a day use fee. When your kid(s) are old enough to expand their horizons, you can take them fishing in places further away.

Don't leave anything valuable in your vehicle wherever you park.