PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing in Belize - Any Reco's

steveg137
09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm headed to Belize for honeymoon middle January for 10 days, 6 nights in Ambergris area and remaining down south near Placentia.

As it's my honeymoon I won't get to fish too much - of course I'll try to anyway - but will definitely be getting out for a guided trip and some exploring myself.

I've been reading about the great fly fishing down there and bought a discounted Greys GRXi #7 ($100), Sage 1800 reel ($80) and Mastery Floating Salwater line ($40) plus some of the flies I've seen recommended.

Ordered a copy of Randall Kauffman's Bonefish book.

Any recommendations in terms of 1) areas 2) guides 3) tackle - do I need #8 too? 4) anything!

Thanks a bunch,
Steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
On the east coast of Ambergris Cay you can walk north along the beach in the early AM looking for Bones and other stuff.

Lots of good guides on Ambergris Cay.

You could take the first water taxi from Ambergris to Cay Caulker for the day.

There is not much fishing around Placencia on foot but lots of good guides.

You might get a 9 weight with a floating line for the slightly larger stuff like tarpon, jacks, barracuda, permit and snook.

Email Destinations Belize web site for any info on Placencia.

In January if it is warm I would go fishing, if it is cool just do some sightseeing.....

steveg137
09-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks Bill! Appreciate the advice.

Steve

koffler
09-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Agree on the 9 wt recommendation for the other species mentioned. Maybe this isnt exactly right, no one ever wants to be undergunned but its a big differnce IMO compared to salt vs fresh water fish. Get the 9. Good luck with marriage. It can be great and hope thats the case for u 2.

Jason.

Lincoln Westby
10-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Blue Horizon Lodge North East Cay & Hopkins Village

Hi my name is Lincoln Westby professional fly fishing guide for over 15 years in Belize, we offer some of the world finest flats fishing for permit, site casting wade fishing on the flats, we specializes in permit fishing, for the hardcore anglers we fish long and hard to make sure the angler get a dozen or more shots at permits while wading in one to three foot of water over limitless hard bottomed flats, Once a fish is spotted, the guide and angler slip out of the boat, and wade to within casting distance of the permit, to get many chance 's to land the fish of a lifetime, and also bone fish, the areas we fish are from San fly "cays" to the islands east and South east of Placencia, if you are new to permit fishing Free fly fishing casting lessons and techniques provided for beginners, also snorkeling trips We are one of the world best fly fishing destinations we caters to the discriminating fly fishing travelers specializing in the world’s finest flats fishing for permit & bone fish we understand an d recognizes that a vacation is not only a financial commitment but also an investment of valuable time, We are committed to the success of each of client's holiday .

https://sites.google.com/site/flyfishingbelize/

Morgan
10-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Very cool Lincoln Westby!
I too will hopefully be in Ambergris mid may for a honeymoon.
I would like to get 2-3 days guided for me and for my future wife as well. She is a complete newbie and I would love to pair her up w/ a female guide for a couple days in hopes to get her addicted/interested in my addiction ;)

Steve let us know how ya do and what ya find out.
The bonefish in Roatan loved crazy charlie variations.
Good luck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2013, 09:08 AM
I have fished for a week at Lincoln's Blue Horizon Lodge off the coast of Belize.

He is a wonderful guy.....lots of fun.

His friend Will Bauer of Permit fame has helped make his rustic lodge very famous.

rouleur35
10-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I have stayed in ambergris for a week scuba diving and 3 days fishing, stayed at ruby's which isn't too bad. Guided by a guy named Nestor, he used to be lead guide at pescadero on the island. Charges 275 full day and 175 half day. He is really into tarpon fishing. You can reach him through ruby's http://www.ambergriscaye.com/rubys. If the big tarpon are migrating he recommended a 12 wt. they were not while I was there so I used a 10 wt for the tarpon around the cayes and an 8 wt for the bones. Hope this helps, there are great hole in the wall restaurants there just avoid everywhere in the guidebooks !! He also supplied all the flies. There are 2 fishing shops in San Pedro that has a fair amount of stuff and where you can get your license.

steveg137
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM
great stuff thanks !

steveg137
01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Got back from Ambergris last week, did two half day guided trips and got out a few times looking for tails.

The weather's been pretty bad down there so they're not fishing the western better side, that said landed quite a few bones on both of the guided trips. No sight or permit or tarpon. Loved the fishing. Did some stuff on my own, had a few chances at tailing bones but no luck with them, was GREAT fun.

Got me excited to try more saltwater stuff.

Thanks again to all for the tips and advice, very helpful.

Couple photo's attached.

Cheers Steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Great Steve....for your first trip, with family, it was a success.

Great photos......

Normally the best fishing is April through November in Belize, the warmer months, if you go on a serious trip.

steveg137
01-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks Bill, yeah definitely fancy a pure fishing trip.

Also I bought Two Wheels North on your recommendation, just started and enjoying it.

CHeers, Steve