PDA

View Full Version : Shots from a remote atoll

DLJeff
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Was extremely fortunate to join a group going to a remote atoll in the Gulf. The fishing was great (I think 4 double digit bonefish were caught) but the birds were amazing. It was also a significant turtle nesting area and the little guys were just starting to hatch and we got to watch a few and even rescue a few that got disoriented by the light from the lighthouse.

Bell's Vireo
Hermit crab
Hooded warbler, female
Hooded warbler, make
Louisiana waterthrush

DLJeff
09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Masked boobies
Noddy tern tough guy
Noddy terns
Ovenbird
Swainson's warbler (I think)

DLJeff
09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Sunset clouds
Baby turtle
Turtle headed for the surf
Unknown vireo
A decent bonefish

jbird
09-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Hey Doug. Ive been looking forward to hearing about this trip! Thats interesting that your seeing birds down there that I see up here. In fact a couple of those warblers I have been seeing here over the last week and the ovenbirds left a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to a full report ;)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Great photos......where?

DLJeff
09-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Jay,
Yeah, it was a surprise to me to see so many small, land-based birds like the warblers, vireos and thrushes. I had to look up most of them because they're more commonly found in the central to eastern part of the US. I kind of think they may stay there year round because there was plenty of food, no predators, and the weather won't drive them anywhere unless a hurricane passes over. I saw a few other warblers too but didn't get photos - I think a Townsends, yellow rumped and another I can't identify because I didn't get a close enough view. I forgot to pack my travel binoculars so was at a disadvantage.

Bill - I'm not sure they want to advertise this place too much (yet). It's a fairly popular escape from northern Yucatan during the summer for people with an ocean going boat. But not many people have fished it. It isn't a large area and can't handle heavy pressure. In fact, even though the fish aren't seeing pressure, we typically got one shot. If we cheesed a cast at a tailing bonefish, it didn't just move off a ways and calm down and start feeding again. It left the flat completely. One check & balance for controlling pressure is it takes a 3+ hour open ocean boat ride to get there; you have to bring all food, water, ice, beer, camping gear, etc for the length of your stay, and there is a good chance you could get stuck on the island longer than expected due to weather changes. There are no showers, fresh water supplies, and limited camping areas on the island. I also believe you have to request and receive special permits because of the turtle nesting areas. There is a lighthouse and keeper on the main island and the Navy maintains a small contingent on the island. I'm sure it is no secret to some but overly advertising it would ruin the place.