PDA

View Full Version : Do Rods Ever Just Wear Out ?

Tony Buzolich
09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Over time do rods simply wear out or get soft and loose their flex or stiffness? I know I've had a few rods that get a lot of use and the guides get worn or the wraps come loose from the threads and even the cork begins to crumble, and this is normal wear from a lot of fishing. But what about the actual rod itself?

With today's technology of resins and graphites and carbon fiber you'd think these rods should last forever, but do they? I'm thinking specifically about an old SAGE RPLX that I bought years ago. It was one of their first saltwater editions they added to their line of models. It was and still is my absolute favorite rod I use. But lately it seems to have gotten a "little" softer, I think?

Maybe it's the wind, or the size of the fly, or maybe even the line itself, but lately I've noticed that on occasion it seems to whimp out. It doesn't have the stiffness that I remember from years past. (no need for other comparisons here either :))

Any thoughts, or even some good technical answers?
Tony

Larry S
09-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Tony,
Sorry, I can't resist this one. On his 75th birthday, Willie Nelson reportedly said: "I have outlived my ______."
I'm hitting that 75 "mile" marker next month. Scary; but what is one to do?
Best to you, Tony
Larry S

Darian
09-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Great subject Tony. I'm fairly sure that glass rods can deteriorate over time. Especially, if stored where they might be exposed to seasonal temperature changes or weather (like in an old garage). They will take a set if stored without support while standing against a wall or in a corner. Several glass rods I've owned broke for no apparent reason while fishing after many years of use. One in particular was a Lamiglas 7 weight I used for Shad. It broke just above the handle while fighting a smallish fish.

Fiber glass will deteriorate if exposed to direct sunlight over a long term, also. I asked Keaton plastics what they would charge to repair some spots in my 40 year old TPL dinghy (glass) and was told that glass that old exposed to the sun would require a complete re-do and that it would cost so much to do that it would exceed the original purchase price. They wouldn't take the job.

I have a SAGE RPLX, 11 weight rod that's my favorite. It still casts very well and seems to have a lot of lifting power. The last fish taken on it was a Skippy of about 15 pounds from the depths a year ago. That said, I'm still looking to replace it. It's heavier than my other, later brands/models of rods. The finish on this rod's starting to deteriorate and that suggests to me that it's starting to lose some integrity. Not sure, just a feeling.

Of course, an example of the durability of glass is the two re-curve bows I have whose limbs of wood are covered with fiber glass. Lots of stressors involved here. They're old and still perform well but must be warmed up before using a full draw and the arrows used on them should be heavier than the carbon arrows commonly in use now. The weight helps in slowing the speed of the arrow and reducing the shock to the limbs when the arrow departs the bow.

All of this adds up to my feeling/observation that deterioration of materials (glass and perhaps graphite) does happen over time but can be slowed by careful maintenance/storage. I'll just continue to use my RPLX until it explodes, pour a shot of Irish to celebrate our time together and break out a new rod. :cool:

RandyS
09-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Well......of course they just wear out. At least that's what I have been telling the wife for years now. :D

Laugh and Enjoy,

Randy

Darian
09-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Hmmm,.... Does your wife read this BB??? ;)

wineslob
09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
I've been trying for years to wear mine out, no luck yet.

Jay Murakoshi
09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
I think your shoulder and elbow would wear out faster than the rod.

jersey
09-17-2013, 08:44 PM
wineslob, you are in Paradise!

well played sir