PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglass for Christmas Island?

JWilli
09-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I am headed for my first trip to CI in the spring. I need to order new sunglasses for the trip, but I am not sure if the typical copper/brown colors are best for spotting flats bonefish. Also, which manufacturer do you recommend? I will be ordering prescription glasses. I appreciate any guidance.

mems
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Aloha JWilli, I was there in april. I use habervision sunglasses. Copper/Rose work well to see the bones. They can do two colors, green and silver. It is easy to see the green fish. One flat out towrds Korean Wreck is pink. The bones there look like pickles going across pink icecream. When they are on white sand it is more difficult, you need to look for the shadows across the sand. I would alos bring an amber pair for cloudy days. Good luck and have fun. You should be able to spot the GT's, they look like vw bugs in shallow water. Mems. For the haber's use my affinity code, MEMMER or flyfishhawaii for 1/2 price. Ha Phil, I beat you to this one!

JWilli
09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks Don, I'll check habervision out. Like your last trip to CI, I am headed to CI this coming April. Staying at CI Outfitters (The Shark Place). Sometimes the preparation seems a bit overwhelming, but I am definitely into it. I have already started tying the bonefish flies (about 4 dozen so far); mostly CI Specials in pink, pearl and orange, and a few gotchas. Not sure how to tie a chili pepper, but I am sure there are plenty of demos on-line. I have never caught a bonefish or a GT; so, much to experience. I'll probably tie up some of Jay's air-head baitfish patterns in 4/0 to 6/0 and also a few crease flies.

Thanks again,
John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Smith/Action Optics is still number one for most.

Copper, light Brown or amber are all good colors for spotting "stuff" under water.

Good glasses are so important for flats fishing.

Casting ability is next......

Rick J
09-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I have always liked amber the best for most shallow water fishing conditions - I have a pair of Action Optics prescriptions I have had for over 10 years

mems
09-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Hey John, we stayed at the shark place as well. Moana is there and is a wonderful guide. I heard Tenaaki came over as well, so yo have two of the best. For the bones, Moana likes the chili pepper, he created it. I would also tie some bunny gotchas for the white sand flats. The fish really liked that fly, it hides the hooks well. For GT's try a bush pig tied with DNA hollow fusion, it keeps its shape well in the water. Bring some 60 and 80lb leader material, you will need it. You should have a great time. Don.

FISHEYE
09-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey Don, no problemo! :o) Phil

JWilli
09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks Don. I am tying up a storm these days. I'll certainly follow your advice about the chili pepper. Do you know if a picture of a Moana chili pepper fly is about? I understand that all of the bonefish flies should be sparse and with mostly small dumbbell eyes. So,lots of preparation for that first time at CI.

John

mems
09-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Go to Rainy's flies website and look up the fly, it is one of mine. Moana likes his much more sparse. some guy on blanton's posted a picture of Moana's fly a couple of days ago. Home it helps, Mems.

JWilli
09-18-2013, 07:49 AM
I saw your pattern for the chili pepper. Do you have a materials list for the fly? I assume that size 6 is mostly used.
BTW, I like Rainy's website. Lots of cool flies and materials there. Thanks for all your help, John