PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal fishing report from guide Hogan Brown.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Fishing Reports

Lower Feather River – The Low Flow has dropped down to 1000cfs and is FULL of Chinook salmon schooling up in every conceivable hole and run in the river. This is a great sign but makes me wonder how many fish are left in the high flow or if there is any fish in the low flow. I took clients out on the river this last weekend and we hooked 3 fresh steelhead and landed one. I would say it is still a bit early but there are some fish around and the ones we hooked were wild chrome bullets. The flows at 1000cfs change the game a bit but not much just add water to the normal spots don’t really created any new ones. Extend runs and make spots in existing runs deeper and more likely to hold fish. With the amount of salmon in the river and the aggressive nature of them at this stage look for steelhead below the masses of salmon and in the deeper water below runs, just kind of hanging back. All our fish came on caddis and mayfly nymphs.

Lower Yuba River – The Lower Yuba has dropped down to 760 cfs and has been stable here sense August 31. This is a normal fall flow, really the minimum flow for the river. This flow drop should kick the salmon that are in the river up into the riffles and get the starting to cut out some redds and get to the business of dropping some eggs. I would expect the egg bit to get going in the next week or two, but I am sure the trout will start moving into the riffles looking for eggs and eating bugs as the salmon cut their redds.

Lower Sacramento River Trout – The Sac has dropped down right around 8000cfs as of August 30th. Fishing has been tough from what I have been hearing. Fishing up through redding area has been a few good fish at best and then a ton of smaller 10-12” fish for most people. Fishing down around Red Bluff has been good one day fair the next. Fishing in the lower stretches for steelhead should be picking up over the next few weeks and the egg bite is still at least a month away I imagine.

Lower Sacramento River Stripers – Fishing has slowed down a bit as flows have dropped substantially. I have heard of a few people catching fish but I have not been out sense the big flow drop so I don’t really have a handle on what is going on but I imagine fishing should remain decent until the weather starts getting cooler.

Guiding – I still have a few fall dates available and plenty of winter dates open as well. These will fill soon so if anyone wants to get out for fall or winter trout and steelhead let me know.

Nov. 17, 23-27.
Dec. 27-31
Jan. 2-12, 18-20, 25, 26
Feb. 8-10, 15, 16, 22, 23

http://www.hgbflyfishing.com/hgbflyfishing/Welcome.html