PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Auto mechanic.

Andy Guibord
09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
This is an odd post for a fishing forum, but I have a Ford Explorer that starts to vibrate when I go over 15 miles an hour. Could be front end work? I use this car to tow my boat. I am looking for someone who might want to do a trade or partial trade- mechanical work for guiding, lessons or,... + money... Thanks for looking. Andy.

joshfish
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Too bad your not in redding.

gitt
09-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Andy, just keep it under 15 mph. :cool: How many miles on the Explorer? Are you at all mechanically inclined? Sounds like front bearings/ hubs, if over 75K on the vehicle. Should be easy to replace. Bet YouTube has a video on how to do this for the do it yourselfer. You should be able to get free tool rental at Autozone. Or you could pay someone to do this.

amoeba
09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
This is an odd post for a fishing forum, but I have a Ford Explorer that starts to vibrate when I go over 15 miles an hour. Could be front end work? I use this car to tow my boat. I am looking for someone who might want to do a trade or partial trade- mechanical work for guiding, lessons or,... + money... Thanks for looking. Andy.

Well Andy:

If you're talking Sacramento and "front end work"; you not only need a mechanic who knows what they are doing, but a mechanic with access to a frame/alignment machine. It is an expensive piece of gear, so there aren't many shops with this equipment, and there are tricks and games to evaluating the problem and fixing it (it doesn't have to be expensive, but it could be if you start guessing and don't do it right); Midas on Arden Ave. has one, so does Sears at the mall, Firestone on Marconi, and that place next to the liquor store on Cottage near Fulton - a Michelin dealer of sorts. Oh yeah, a vehicle lift will really help on this type of work.

I have gone to Midas and would recommend them based on my experiences so far (fix gets done right, cost is fair). Sorry I don't know anybody in the mechanic business who is into barter no less flyfishing; they generally work hard 10 hour days with few breaks; cash or credit only.

amoeba
09-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Andy, just keep it under 15 mph. :cool: How many miles on the Explorer? Are you at all mechanically inclined? Sounds like front bearings/ hubs, if over 75K on the vehicle. Should be easy to replace. Bet YouTube has a video on how to do this for the do it yourselfer. You should be able to get free tool rental at Autozone. Or you could pay someone to do this.

Could be many things; take it to a mechanic for something like this; if it is a piece of cake you won't be charged much from an honest shop, and if not, you'll have a better chance at knowing what's really wrong.

Mark Kranhold
09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Andy give me a ring! I have a good honest mechanic.

joshfish
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
What kind of vibration is it? Does it shake the steering wheel? Or is it a sharp vibration you feel in your seat? Does it get worse or better as you go faster?

Tony Buzolich
09-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Andy,

As a former owner of a tire store we dealt with vibration problems constantly. Some are easy to fix and quick to find like tire balance. Start with that and the fellow who balances the tire will (or should) also look at the tire and wheel as it is spinning to check for out of round or a possible tread separation. His balancer will also tell you (and him) if the tire is actually out of balance. Have him check it before he pulls the old weights off.

If the tire or wheel is separated or out of round, DON'T let him try to balance it anyway. You can balance a square block but it will never run smooth.

Most vibrations ARE tire and wheel related but not all. Low speed vibrations like yours are often structural ( tread lift, separation, belt conicity, etc).

Working in a tire store for almost thirty years was like being a doctor when a customer came in with a problem. Where does it hurt, is it all the time, or just at certain speeds, etc., etc.

Give me a call any time and maybe we can narrow the problem down,
Tony

amoeba
09-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Andy:

I will resist the guessing game here mostly - yet the low speed has me thinking as-yet-unmentioned other components of steering, suspension, frame bushings, etc., ; you can close this thread and end the mystery by telling us you went to a mechanic and found out what it was.

Larry S
09-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Hey Tony,
Do they still "true" tires. My first new car, Triumph TR4 (early 60's) ran Pirelli tires and developed quite a
shimmy at certain speeds. Per advice, I had the tires "trued." Which involved "shaving" them to make them round.
It worked; but, it certainly reduced the life of the tires. Had a set of tube-type Michelins in the 60's that had lots of
tread left; the steel belts started puncturing the inner tubes. Boy, have we progressed with our vehicles;
of course, we can't do many of the repair work ourselves.
Best,
Larry S

Tony Buzolich
09-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Larry,

Truing is only done now at the factory to remove some of the feathering from the molds. What you are talking about was totally different and was mostly used for retreads (remember those?) Wire wheels (like on Triumphs) were notorious for being out of round and thus would make the tire out of round as well. Trueing was a quick fix but definitely shortened tire life.
Tony

DAVID95670
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
The issues were suspension and driveline. Front suspension required tie rods; ball joints and control arms. Driveline required repair. We specialize in driveability issues and engine/electrical diagnosis. We get a lot of referals from local machine shops to install engines and transmissions for their customers.

We are located 1/2 mile from the American River on Sunrise blvd. Shuttle service is available while you wait for your repairs.

www.absolutecarservices.com

916-635-6200

Tight Lines !

Andy Guibord
09-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Everyone, thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!. The Ford Explorer lives to tow another day. It needed some front end work and I worked out a trade. Thanks, Dave!!!!. The tires were relatively new, under warranty, and had them checked at Sam's Club. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Andy Guibord
09-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Everyone, thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!. The Ford Explorer lives to tow another day. It needed some front end work and I worked out a trade. Thanks, Dave!!!!. The tires were relatively new, under warranty, and had them checked at Sam's Club. Thanks so much!!!!!!!