PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Morning

Blueracer
09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
As soon as I got the line wet it starts to pour down.
Then the first cast out to the seam, after a long swing just before the dangle I get a good grab. Cool a grab while it's pouring rain.
It felt like a solid fish while realing it in and then I saw it and it was.
I turned toward shore to turn the fish and the guy jumped about 4 feet straight up. It was silvery white.
As I pulled it closer just as I thought I was going to be able to land him it just did a small head shake and was off.

This is the fly it grabbed, dry and wet. Tied it on Saturday.
It's a variation of a classic. I tied the body specifically for fishing the American.
The hackle is from a long legged bird I found freshly killed along the side of I-5 this past summer. That's all I'll say about that.

I saw the cloud cover when I went to bed but didn't know if it would still be around in the morning.
I went back to sleep after the alarm went off and slept in.
After getting up and seeing the weather out I decided I'm still going out.
Hooked the fish around 9am. It's a good early September morning when you get to sleep in and still get a fish on the A.
Hopefully the weather today is a sign of the Fall to come.
It made me feel like I was in Michigan again.
Short sleeves, humidity, lot's of cloud cover and I was dumped on three good times with plenty of sprinkling off and on.

jbird
09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey! Way to go! Its a great feeling to feel that tug, aint it?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I love that fly.......very nice.

Mark Kranhold
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Nice going Bryan! Can't land them all... but then again ,we are in search for the grab! Got to love those happy fish!

golfish
09-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Love that 2nd fly, what's the wing and hook on that fly? I've been tying some flat and tented wings using pheasant rump that look similar to that. Not sure how those style wings swim though as I haven't gotten out recently, soon though.

pvsprme
09-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Nice pattern, well done!

Blueracer
09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys.
Golfish, they are the same fly.
I will have to get back to you on the exact hook but the size is either a 6 or 8.
The wing is bronze mallard.

russc37
09-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Bryan,

Are you still planning your trip up north for SHD/SMN. If so, the offer still stands to borrow the 8/9 Beulah. Let me know.

Russ

Blueracer
09-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi Russ. Thanks...just sent an email off to you.

Blueracer
09-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Golfish - this is the hook I used. http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/tar7999-salmon-steelhead-hooks-50-pack/pid--78/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
We might have that Targus SH hook at Kiene's too....................

Blueracer
09-08-2013, 06:56 PM
I think I bought them there Bill :)

golfish
09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks Blue, pictures made the hook look a little bronze so I was curious. That fly is a little Lady Carolinish, very nice. I don't have any nice matched bronze mallard feathers so I've been messing around with other stuff. This is a sloppy experiment with a flat wing, I'm hoping this style of wing will plane down on a dry line.

Mark Kranhold
09-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Golfish, nice little summer bug! I'd eat it:eek: