PDA

View Full Version : Camera Advice Please

donkeyhunter007
09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I am thinking about stepping up to Digital SLR. It looks like Nikon and Cannon are at the top? Any thoughts. I am looking for the best "VALUE" The most bang for the buck, At what price point will I notice the most substantial difference from My Current Panasonic( TZ-5 and TS-1) Point and shoots from 3 years ago. ARe the package deals CAmera and lens) at costco something to look into? Thanks for your time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Call Andy at the shop or email him........he is a Canon guy.

1-800-400-0359

guibord765@comcast.net

For DSLR it is Canon or Nikon now.

I will save that average size auto focus adjustable/zoom lenses come in three price points on average...................................... $300 basic, $600 mid-priced and $1200 high end.

High end on average has better peformance in low light.

Andy looks at best reports of all the Canon bodies and lenses.

Some of the cheaper ones have pretty good optics.

Canon EOS Rebel T3i Kit is a good value......

jbird
09-02-2013, 05:31 AM
I am thinking about stepping up to Digital SLR. It looks like Nikon and Cannon are at the top? Any thoughts. I am looking for the best "VALUE" The most bang for the buck, At what price point will I notice the most substantial difference from My Current Panasonic( TZ-5 and TS-1) Point and shoots from 3 years ago. ARe the package deals CAmera and lens) at costco something to look into? Thanks for your time.

Your best bet with a limited budget is to buy used. There are some fantatic online dealers with TONS of good used equimpent. Adorama is the #1 resource. They sell high quality lovingly used equipment. Remember that the camera body is the foundation, but the lens is what really makes the diference in image quality. Get a camera body that has auto focus. This opens up a huge selection of compatible lenses. Including most older film lenses (some of which are still arguably the best out there)

As for Nikon or Canon, its a personal preference. They are really created equal.

Just a quick search found this cracking deal at Adorama at your price point. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20585832.html

Baja Fly Fisher
09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I like Nikon, especially for the lenses. I had a D300S but the whole camera case was stolen when they stoled my truck
I just bought a Nikon D7100, upgrade from the D300s. I bought the body and lens separate. I put a 24mm- 85mm on the body.
The costco here had the D7100 listed at $1,500 with a zoom lens with the package. Not sure what the lens in the kit was.
I was going to purchase it but my local camera shop had the same camera with a 24/105 lens. The body only was a 1,099.00
I'm also looking at the D800S body.
Best bet, go to a camera shop and touch and feel both cameras - the Nikon and Canon.

J