PDA

View Full Version : Utah: Provo and Webber Rivers

Jake O
08-27-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm heading to a wedding in salt lake the weekend of the 22nd and have a day to burn and was thinking of fishing the provo or the webber, both of which i understand to be good rivers. Does anyone have any recomendations for that area, or know of any guides they would recomend?

Thanks
~Jake

Dan LeCount
08-27-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.pctrouttales.com/utah-fly-fishing-guides/

ask for Walt.

John Sv
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Trout Bum 2 in Park City has a guide service. We fished the Weber with them last year and had a really nice day

Jaybinder
08-27-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.eddierobinsons.com

These guys are great.

utah guide
08-28-2013, 06:38 AM
www.goldmedalfishingguides.com
The Provo is fishing well right now with daytime pmd hatches and evening caddis. The fish are healthy and willing to take well presented flies. Give us a call and we can book you a day trip that you won't forget! 800-826-5447

Kevin Goding
09-03-2013, 12:35 PM
I've never fished the Webber, but if it's a weekend date, the Provo can get pretty crowded. It has a lot of easy drive in access and isn't a very large stream, just a heads up.

jersey
09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
+1 what Kevin said...

Jake O
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
So we ended up driving on a whim since flights were 700 bucks a piece from sac to salt lake, and i needed a car anyway to get around to sneak out to do some fishing. After about 8 hours of driving i finally saw this. 7621

Only was going to have a half day to fish, so based on some internet scouting, some PM's here, and a trip to a local fly shop out there i decided to fish the middle provo. I was told that most of the fish were small, but that the browns were starting to get aggressive in their pre-spawn stage. That fact coupled with overcast conditions led me thinking one thing.....streamers. Perfect weather for it.

This river is absolutely stunning. Perfect setting.

I arrived at the parking lot before dawn, in hopes of hiking a ways to get away from the massive crowds, which are common on this river. Unfortunately both my hiking plan and steamer plan were thwarted when i got to about the fourth run from the lot and fish were rising, everywhere. I tried a couple casts with the streamer to no avail and then quickly tied on a EC caddis and started to have fun. These little guys were rising, everywhere. The river is absolutely loaded with them.

After a caught a number of those i decided i was in search of something bigger, so hiked down stream aways, found a good streameresk stretch of water, tied on a double streamer set up and went to work. I was rewarded quickly, and often. I think i probably caught ten nice sized fish on streamers before the clouds broke, sun came up, and the streamer game subsided.

After the streamer game died i started heading back towards the car and stopped to fish a couple runs. Caught a few on nymphs and got my but completely handed to me trying to figure out what the fish were taking on top mid morning. All in all was a fun few hours of fishing, only wish i had more time....

EricO
09-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Wow. Some real nice fish. The second one is a beaut!

How bout that drive across Nevada....never ending.

Quite a successful day of fishing...especially since you'd never fished it.

Btw, are those galvan reels not the best? What weight rod did you use?

EO

Scott V
09-27-2013, 07:29 AM
I caught my biggest brown so far on the Webber, but the Provo kicked my butt. I had monsters well over 24 inch follow my fly so many times and not take it. Both water are beautiful.

Jake O
09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
EO,

Yes, love my galvan. Rod is a 6 wt CPX. Way to big for that stream on the dry and nymphing front but was perfect for throwing streamers, especially with the double streamer set up.

Scott,

The Webber is a beautiful river. I actually drove down to it and fished underneath one bridge off the road--only had about ten minutes to spare. Didn't catch any, but i hear some real big ones come out of the lakes this time of year. I was actually supposed to fish the Webber instead of the Provo, as a guy I met through the wedding i went to had some local knowledge but he bailed at the last minute so decided to fish the Provo since the day before the lady and I drove by the provo on a trip to park city so i at least had an idea of where the access points were on the provo.

It is rediculous how many fish are packed into the provo. But for every fish there i'm pretty sure theres about five fisherman! Luckily for me it was a sunday and the morman conference was going on so im sure that cut down on the amount of fisherman the day i fished (parking lot was deffinately not as crowded as the day before when i drove by). The only place else i've seen more people fishing is probably the frying pan in Colorado. I always thought out of state fishing would equal big dumb fish with no crouds, but the more i fish out of state i realize that there are typically more crouds than we have on our local waters here.

Not sure why some of the pics i posted just show a link to an attachment while others are visible on the screen without clicking anything?

EricO
09-27-2013, 04:56 PM
"I always thought out of state fishing would equal big dumb fish with no crouds, but the more i fish out of state i realize that there are typically more crouds than we have on our local waters here."

Interesting. I always thought the same.

Eric

TyV
09-27-2013, 06:50 PM
"I always thought out of state fishing would equal big dumb fish with no crouds, but the more i fish out of state i realize that there are typically more crouds than we have on our local waters here."

I rarely experienced crowds trout fishing until I moved to CA! There are still plenty of places out there that you can find solitude...though not usually around major population centers like SLC and much of CA. Glad to hear you had such a fun and productive day on unknown water!