PDA

View Full Version : Packable Float Tube or Pontoon?

Frank Roepke
08-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I am in need of advice:
Looking for a Packable pontoon or float tube. I have never owned one before so I am going into it green. I will transport it via hiking or Mt Biking into lakes and ponds, and would like to take it down the Yuba below 20 bridge.
From what I have read, I like the benefits of a pontoon but not sure how they pack. The picture I saw online showed a full pack on the guys back, but that wouldn’t leave much room for waders and rod.
Thanks and looking forward to your feedback.
Frank

SHigSpeed
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I think you need two boats, Frank.

For the river, you would do well to get a pontoon or a Scadden pon-tube type boat. That or a Watermaster type raft/kickboat. Only problem with these is that they are going to be bulky and heavy. Thinking 20-40 pounds. Creek Company used to make a backpackable pontoon that weighed 35-40 lbs (?) but it was the entire pack like you said.

Backpacking any sort of pontoon would suck with MAYBE the exception of the Super Cat which is a framed mini pontoon boat that weighs around 12 lbs. Ed Wahl has one. Still somewhat bulky, but it may actually float a class I or II river okay with the oars kit.

Of course, if you're actually going hiking and weight and bulk is of major concern, ahem...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project

If you haven't been following, or are short of time, just flip to the last page. ;)

_SHig

Ed Wahl
08-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Frank I agree with Shig's assessment here. You're talking about requirements that no one craft can meet. My 'cat is great for what I use it for, ie packing into lakes and ponds. On the Yuba I'd want something a lot speedier like a 'toon with oars. You're going to have to try a few different types out before you buy. Call me when you want to hit those ponds I told you about and you can borrow my Super Cat. Ed

Frank Roepke
08-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Good call, as always there is not one perfect boat.
Ed, i will take you up on that, thanks and talk soon

rickw
08-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Frank,
I have a Scadden Rampage you are welcome to try if you would like to try out a ‘toon.

SHigSpeed
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Frank,

Check this:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/scadden-assault-ultra-light-w-lightspeed-oars.92009/

_SHig

beachbum2
03-25-2014, 02:46 PM
I recently just got back into fly fishing and had the same dilemma. Float tube or toon. My problem was resolved when reading then specs for most float tubes....I am a big guy and didn't think it would hold me. I really liked the scadden toons, especially the framed toons and bought one to start. It is FABULOUS for 1 and even 2 ppl on still water or even a float, BUT I am discovering the NEED for 2 boats. I am now looking to get a frameless scadden boat for those bike or pack trips in. The framed boat I have.....I LOVE. I have assembled it completely and out about 500-600 pounds on it and the pontonns take all the load just fine. Hope this helps.

SHigSpeed
03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I recently just got back into fly fishing and had the same dilemma. Float tube or toon. My problem was resolved when reading then specs for most float tubes....I am a big guy and didn't think it would hold me. I really liked the scadden toons, especially the framed toons and bought one to start. It is FABULOUS for 1 and even 2 ppl on still water or even a float, BUT I am discovering the NEED for 2 boats. I am now looking to get a frameless scadden boat for those bike or pack trips in. The framed boat I have.....I LOVE. I have assembled it completely and out about 500-600 pounds on it and the pontonns take all the load just fine. Hope this helps.

I don't know how big a guy you are but maybe ping these guys to see what their weight capacity is. They're quite a bit heavier and bulkier than my tubes, but at under 4 pounds it's not bad. Perhaps it'll float you, who knows?

http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com

Good luck!

_SHig

JAWallace
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm going to be putting my like new Scadden Renegade up for sale soon. It weighs 28# dry, capacity 800#, and is pretty easy to carry and move around. Mine is licensed as I sometimes use a trolling motor with it. I LOVE this boat but I'm lightening up as I now have a skiff that provides the motoring capability when needed. I have put it out to a few friends first as these tend to move pretty fast.

beachbum2
04-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Hello,
Are still putting your Scadden Renegade up for sale? Is it still available? How much are you looking for?

JAWallace
04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Sorry, it was in the classifieds and sold.