PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List Browns / Where to Go?

Tony Buzolich
08-23-2013, 03:16 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever posted on the "trout" column and I'll tell you why I am. With Bill's retirement has come a lot of recommendations from him about retiring early, getting out and enjoying life while you can, bucket lists, etc., etc. And now over on Dan's board is a rapport about doing it as early as you can.

This got me to thinking about something I've always wanted,,,,,,,, a BIG Brown. I've caught plenty of trout in my life and even a few browns too, but never a BIG Brown. And with all of this bucket list stuff being talked about I think I'd like to catch a nice brown somewhere. So far the biggest brown I've taken came from Hirschdale on the Truckee and was 14". That's a nice little trout. It was cute, it was pretty with those red spots, but it wasn't BIG. I want BIG.

I watched a show a while back on ESPN with Joe Brooks chasing BIG Browns in the dark on some river in Arkansas, (I think?) He looked to be in his 80's and he's wading in the dark fishing for Browns the size of Salmon. I think I'd like to do that :) Somewhere here in the states. I don't want to go to Argentina, or New Zealand, or some other foreign place, I'd just like to stay closer to home. And that Brown doesn't have to be the size of a Salmon either, just a "good" brown would be fine.

So where do I go? And who's a good guide that might specialize in BIG Browns? I don't need or want an "X" marks the spot kind of thing. I'd just like to have a general direction or river to go explore.

Thanks, Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-23-2013, 04:28 PM
That might be the White River in Arkansas? Dave Whitlock lives right near there.....

The South Island of New Zealand has big Browns too.

Tera Del Fuego on the tip of South America has big Sea-run Brown trout over 30#.

Hire guide Fred Gordon and he will take you to the lower McCloud River around he first part of November for big Brown trout coming up from Shasta Lake to spawn.

Jaybinder
08-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Check out the Grey Reef section of the North Platte. These guys are the best. http://www.crazyrainbow.net/
If your in to swinging flys ask for Reese.

trichoptera
08-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever posted on the "trout" column and I'll tell you why I am. With Bill's retirement has come a lot of recommendations from him about retiring early, getting out and enjoying life while you can, bucket lists, etc., etc. And now over on Dan's board is a rapport about doing it as early as you can.

This got me to thinking about something I've always wanted,,,,,,,, a BIG Brown. I've caught plenty of trout in my life and even a few browns too, but never a BIG Brown. And with all of this bucket list stuff being talked about I think I'd like to catch a nice brown somewhere. So far the biggest brown I've taken came from Hirschdale on the Truckee and was 14". That's a nice little trout. It was cute, it was pretty with those red spots, but it wasn't BIG. I want BIG.

I watched a show a while back on ESPN with Joe Brooks chasing BIG Browns in the dark on some river in Arkansas, (I think?) He looked to be in his 80's and he's wading in the dark fishing for Browns the size of Salmon. I think I'd like to do that :) Somewhere here in the states. I don't want to go to Argentina, or New Zealand, or some other foreign place, I'd just like to stay closer to home. And that Brown doesn't have to be the size of a Salmon either, just a "good" brown would be fine.

So where do I go? And who's a good guide that might specialize in BIG Browns? I don't need or want an "X" marks the spot kind of thing. I'd just like to have a general direction or river to go explore.

Thanks, Tony

Tony,

I've always subscribed to the "work to get there and you won't have to work so hard to catch something"
philosophy. There may be places in the lower 48 where you might scratch out a large fish if you're lucky, but if you want "automatic" go to the south island of New Zealand.

Jerry

Langenbeck
08-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Tony,

In Oregon would try Miller Lake near Chemult that is open 24 hours a day in October or Wickiup Reservoir near La Pine. Again October and near Sheeps Creek. Big as anything the South Island has to offer. Also check some U-tube videos of guys fishing in the Milwaukee harbor about Novemer for some very big browns.

joshfish
08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
You could call herb at the trinity fly shop. The trinity has some nice browns. Check out their website if you want to see some pictures.

Langenbeck
08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Tony: check U tube for winter brown Trout Milwaukee Harbor.

Blueracer
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Tony, if you want to travel you might think about some Great Lake rivers. Plenty with with regular large trout and if you go in the fall you can catch BIG lake run browns right along with steelhead.

Tony Buzolich
08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
This is great stuff guys. Thank you for all the suggestions. My son-in-law has family all over Argentina with hunting lodges and the whole bit. But that along with New Zealand are just too far to go. I'm not a good flyer after an hour or two in the air.

Thanks again for the help, Tony

cyama
08-24-2013, 10:51 AM
The Truckee does hold some big browns. If you don't fish it much you should hire a guide, or trade for a Striper trip on the Feather. Check out Gilligan's blog http://gilligansguideservice.com/blog/page/3/ . Look towards the bottom of the page. You may have to buy a Nevada license.... Doug O and Big Jim would work as well.

Tony Buzolich
08-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Wow, Any of those on Gilligan's page would do just fine. I'll be calling them for sure.
Tony

aaron
08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I would get in touch with Steve Dally on the White River http://www.theozarkflyfisher.com/

jbird
08-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Like Gordon said. Milwaukee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt94oa_JFvU

Dan LeCount
08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I also highly recommend fishing with Doug Ouellette on the Nevada side of the Truckee if catching a giant brown is an aspiration. (http://www.calvadaflyfishing.com/) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apyg67h2cZw Gill is a good option too. http://gilligansguideservice.com/ Speaking of big browns, I floated the Truckee today since my client had to reschedule. Hooked a fish as big as anything New Zealand has to offer. I've hooked quite a few fish over 2 feet on this river, and this one blew them away. Wild guess 27-28 inches plus. Didn't feel fouled either. Sadly the hook came unbuttoned before I could get a good look, but it was bending my 8 weight telephone pole I use for saltwater down to the hilt. (old school Sage RP) I was fishing a T-14 tip with a streamer in a super deep trench and .01x tippet. I had good pressure and what seemed like a solid angle, hook just fell out. Dreamcrush, but inspiration for the future.

Morgan
08-24-2013, 06:09 PM
The truckee has em for sure. MIke curtis from Tahoe fly fishing outfitters is another one to look into for chasing big fish on the T. This is my biggest brown landed so far on the truckee...23". During an awesome winter hatch. Ive lost a few bigger. This one probably isnt the monster your looking for but they are in there for sure.

Dan LeCount
08-24-2013, 07:04 PM
It also depends on how big of a fish you want to try and catch. The biggest fish in the Truckee will probably cap around 10 pounds,(around 30inches) 2 or 3 are landed every year on misc tackle. Maybe a 12 or a 13lber will be landed once every 3-4 years. Great Lakes tributaries, Argentina (Tierra Del Fuego) and the White River drainages are on a whole 'nother level and will put out fish over 20, even 30 pounds.

Ralph
08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
In California the Truckee watershed undoubtedly holds the largest browns. The lakes have bigger fish than the river. Martis likely harbors the largest browns in the state, but it will take some homework and lots of luck to land one. I've seen some Chinook sized browns while scuba diving Martis. Some of the other Truckee area lakes have proven populations of 20# plus fish. Here in Montana only a few days ago a dead 38# brown washed up on the shores of the Madison River below Quake Lake.

Dan LeCount
08-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Yeah, the lakes definitely have the largest fish. I have a photo of a fish caught on a Stanley streamer at Boca reservoir that was in the realm of 15+lbs. (Found the pic.) Bear in mind the guy is like 6'5" and is not using camera tricks like holding out the fish with some wide angle lens like a lot of people like to do nowadays.

Dan LeCount
08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
In California the Truckee watershed undoubtedly holds the largest browns. The lakes have bigger fish than the river. Martis likely harbors the largest browns in the state, but it will take some homework and lots of luck to land one. I've seen some Chinook sized browns while scuba diving Martis. Some of the other Truckee area lakes have proven populations of 20# plus fish. Here in Montana only a few days ago a dead 38# brown washed up on the shores of the Madison River below Quake Lake.

How many years ago did you see those browns while scuba diving Martis Ralph?

cyama
08-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey you guys take it easy. Tony has a boat and is very good at throwing weighted lines!!! Keep those lakes as they are!! By the way if you want to catch brown trout that aren't monsters check out the East Walker. You can get into brownies in the morning and evenings from 16-22 inches on most days when the flows are up. A lot easier to fish than the Truckee...

Dan LeCount
08-25-2013, 04:38 AM
Hey you guys take it easy. Tony has a boat and is very good at throwing weighted lines!!! Keep those lakes as they are!! By the way if you want to catch brown trout that aren't monsters check out the East Walker. You can get into brownies in the morning and evenings from 16-22 inches on most days when the flows are up. A lot easier to fish than the Truckee...

East Walker has monsters too. Every now and then (especially during big water years) browns in Bridgeport res end up in the creek. Most of the rivers that connect to a large lake in the east side have a good chance of supporting a 10lb plus brown.

dickwhite
08-25-2013, 08:34 AM
I've got a buddy and his dad who headhunt for large browns. They fish mostly early and late in the season. They're gear guys, but we can still learn from them. Luckily they change out the hooks to barbless. I've seen them pull some really big fish from the Big Truckee. They throw 6-8" jointed Rapalas, in rainbow and brown trout patterns and are always on the move. 2-3 casts per likely spot. To throw flies that big you almost need a to wear a helmet.

So chuck a whole chicken and duck as it whizzes by your head.

Tight lines.

Dick White

ski_squirrel
08-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Funny to be reading this post tonight, my brother caught this 30" beast on the truckee this evening

ski_squirrel
08-26-2013, 09:01 PM
one more, pretty funny expression on his face7480

Sutterk
08-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Owhyee River in Oregon might be worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_mK4lyOBI