PDA

View Full Version : Mc Cloud River Bass?

donkeyhunter007
08-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I fish the McCloud a few times a year. I have been catching a lot more bass. I believe they are spotted bass (they have a big black bar down the side). I snorkeled one of my favorite sections for a couple hours and was shocked at the number of bass I saw. In another one slow water section I saw maybe 20 bass, very large bass. Is this alarming or normal and just something Im beginning to notice? Can anyone with some experience with the Mc Cloud chime in please.

Tfisher
08-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Can you describe where you were fishing? Lower McCloud by Bollibokka I assume? If so, they've been found as far as Tuna falls. Rare if non existent above. Water temperature is the rate limiting factor. Reservoir level also plays a part. Lots of bass in the Pit, McCloud and Upper Sac arms of Shasta Lake. And yes they are spotted bass.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Nor Cal Guide Fred Gordon told me that the lower reaches of the Upper Sac, just above Lake Shasta, has bass in late summer as the river warms some.

So maybe this is even more comon on a draught year?

I guess they are coming up from Shasta Lake?

I heard that the Spotted Bass have displaced the Smallmouth Bass in Shasta Lake now.

CP.....I like you school of fish........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
><((((º>
><((((º> ><((((º>

donkeyhunter007
08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info.Yes I was fishing the lower Bollibokka section and the water was low and warm.