Ward's Wasp # 4 and Selection # 6

George F. Grant ~ Presentation box with photos and
woven featherback Stonefly Nymphs

Rye_Tyler
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks.. Rye

Dan LeCount
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I'd have a hard time selling those. You have a real part of history. Great tyers, both. Such a specific item, their value is what anyone will pay for them. If you get lucky you'll find a collector type, but more likely you'll probably be hard pressed getting someone to pay a fair value. Fair value? I don't know, maybe a 100-200 for each box with picture. Who knows, maybe its something someone has been looking for the last 40 years and will pay a 1000. I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe you will only get offered 20 bucks for everything. (please don't sell if you do) Anyways, find a good home for them, wherever they go.

Mark Kranhold
08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Nice!! You may want to put those on Speypages forum as well. The hooks feathers and floss colum has some great classic old school tyers on board and you may get alot of feed back from them. Good luck and nice collection!!

Rye_Tyler
08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks, No intention of selling them, just curious.
Came from a friend's dad's estate. He thought I could use them
on the water.. His dad was a collector, the rest ended up on eBay
or in the garbage. Ouch!!

Rye_Tyler
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Any info on Edward Haas # 6 box?

cdccopp
08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
You have a wonderful selection there with the flies. Back in 77 I was able to visit Ed at his cabin near the Forks of Salmon. I got there early in the morning and spent the whole day listening to his history and was able to tie with him. I treasure the flies he tied for me, there in the safe, and the lesson and reasoning behind his tying. His ethics on tying I have tried to follow to this day. Don't put out a less than superior product and don't buy sub par materials. He had his hooks made for him by Allcock in England. He would order a 100 tails from Andy Puyans and high grade them, which he then sent to Eric Liser for dying to his specs. I could go on and on but those are some of the highlites that I treasure from that day spent with him. I hope you are able to keep them and research some history about Ed.
Dennis

jbird
08-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Very cool collecton! You should post it to the classic flyrod forum. If theres a such thing as "nerds for classics" this is where they hang out. They know all things classic. Pretty good bunch of guys too.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php

DLJeff
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Back when I used to tie flies at the Shows, I had the chance to sit and talk with George Grant. I guess it would be over 15 years now. Mr. Grant was starting to slow down physically but his passion for protecting rivers still burned in his eyes and mind. He sold his woven hair hackle flies and I think all or nearly all the money went to his river protection fund. At that time, you could buy a single fly in a plastic box with a little paper label describing the fly and the fund for $50 - $100 depending on the fly. So I would guess that box with 6 of Mr. Grant's flies and a photo of him would be worth several hundred dollars to a collector.

One other option if you're feeling charitable is to donate some or all to the FFF Museum or to the Fly Tying Museum.

Rye_Tyler
08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. Wasnt sure exactly what I had,
Definitely not for sale!! I've just recently started chasing steelhead, but I've
always had an affinity for big elegant flies.. It's great to know I've got some
incredible pieces of history. Rye

Bob Scheidt
08-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey Rye:
Yeah you sure do have some fabulous flies there. Those 2 are the top 2 tyers who are no longer with us, in my book. I'm pretty sure Mr. Haas and Grant are more popular here in the west than they would be in the eastern US. Good job treasuring them on your part. Irreplaceable as you know. You are the envy of alot of folks who greatly admire those 2 tyers. WOW- good for you!!

I bought an Ed Haas fly mounted on ebay years ago. There was no reserve on the price. I think I got if for $25 and the guy who sold it to me was not a happy camper. He thought it was worth a whole lot more. I have that Ed Haas fly mounted on my wall just above where I tie. The George Grant books are also very collectible. Montana Trout Flies and The Master Fly Weaver.

Bob
Bob