PDA

View Full Version : More TCL

Hatch
08-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Hey Tony D, several in our group caught small snook. I hear your trip was a success also. Good to hear from you.

Ken, thanks for chiming in. You know its a good trip when Bill, Ken and Lee are talking it up.

Lee, all of the usual flies caught fish. Deep Cover Shrimp-Foxxy Griz-Toads-Seaducers but my #1 fly was a L.H. knock-off that I named the Micro-Gurgler. The fish wanted a small fly when we were there.

Here are a few more pics from the trip. Topwater Croc fishing is interesting but they are a tough release !!

HATCH

Rick J
08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
I can't think of a greater place than TCL to chase baby tarpon - thought I would repost the short youtube video a friend helped put together of our trip there in July. My brother(from Kansas/Missouri) is a big time bass guy so brought conventional gear and really slammed them - he did much better on the barracuda and we kept quite a few of them. Beto would make ceviche for us - he says small barracuda makes the best ceviche! - probably my favorite food of all while there!!!

We had the same results as Hatch though no snook - saw some but little chance to cast to them - small flies especially when the wind was down in the early AM (good picture of a hot fly in the video in the mouth of a baby!) - also really helped to side cast - at times there were many dozen fish rolling and you made a cast only to spook 10 fish that were not rolling between you and the fish you cast to!!!

Can't wait until next year!!

http://youtu.be/fbMGso7xKH4

Katz
08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Rick - not wanting to knock fly-fishing only but I am thinking of taking my son next June and he is not the greatest caster. I would love to give him another option for windy days. Anything you can tell me about what conventional stuff your buddy was using?

Thanks. Kraig

k.hanley
08-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Hatch here's a link to a short video Keith and I made years ago (Yucatan Tarpon Flats). Enjoy!

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-saltwater.php?vid=5

Cheers, Ken

Rick J
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Katz - all fishing is good!!!! I have asked my brother to give me a bit more detailed info on his gear from rods, reels, lines and lures - although he brought spinning gear he strictly use bait casting gear on the water - will get back to you

It can be very frustrating down there if you are not a good caster so using conventional can get you into fish when otherwise you will get blanked - especially when the wind is ripping!!!

Well my brother just got back to me so from Bob:

I was using 6-1/2 ft medium hvy casting rod with Shimano Calcutta 100 and 200 reels spooled w 20lb floro. Lure was a Zoom fluke or super fluke in pearl or albino color (or similar type plastic lure like “ salt water assassin”) on 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap gamagatsu hook. I did not use internal weights (nails or tungsten inserts) but probably should have over the deeper water and to increase casting distance.

Katz - fish went crazy for the fluke though a lot of missed strikes but really exciting - expect you could rig same stuff on a spinning outfit. PS used 40# shock tippet for the babies and 80# when we went out for bigger fish

Best,
Rick

DLJeff
08-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Katz -
If I may be so bold, can I add one more tid bit of advice that will drastically increase the catch rate. Only use sharp hooks. I fished down there several times using Mustads that I sharpened myself. My catch rate vs hook rate was maybe 50 - 60%. Marco had me tie some flies using Gamakatsu SC15's he had. Right out of the box they are much sharper than I could get my Mustads using a file. My catch rate vs hook rate went up to 80% or better. After many trips down there since, and fishing with guys using other hooks and checking the sharpness, I am convinced you can not have a hook that is too sharp. Even nicking a mangrove can bend the tip or dull the tip enough that your catch rate will drop. So regardless of using fly or conventional gear, use as sharp a hook as you can and check it anytime you nick a mangrove or stick a fish.

Katz
08-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you Rick and DLJeff (and Bob)!! Really appreciate it. Definitely want to give the boy some options to keep the interest up! Kraig

Rick J
08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
He will have a blast - we have now gone official on youtube with a slightly modified version of my previous link. Something I can click on to keep me from going stir crazy until the next time!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEMFXiUtrI

Tony
08-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Maury,
It was a great trip. I got a 70 & a 80 lb tarpon (and juvies), my first permit and 60-70 Bones. Hooked a couple of Snook but did not catch either one. BTW, what size & color of foxxy griz do/did ya'll use? Same ones for Snook and the juvie Tarpon?

I may get come out this fall. I may "need" to come out for business.

micro gurgler is great idea.

Glad to hear all is going well

Randy Lee
08-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Hatch,
What type of fly did you use for the crock? I bet their a little tricky to release with all that oral hardware. Sounds like a dynamite trip. I'm happy for you.
Randy

James
08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Awesome video!

I have to go!!

Lee Haskin
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Hey Maury,

Nice looking "gurgler".
I have been tying/selling a lot of small gurglers for baby tarpon, along with the Slideball Slider. Tying those weedless really gives you a lot of freedom to cast into those brushy creeks, where those baby tarpon and snook like to hide. You are right-small is better when it comes to baby tarpon.
Even though you miss more fish, the top water explosions are worth the trip!

Every fly fisher need to experience TCL. It is just THAT much fun. I'm sure glad you guys did well, Maury, and that the flies worked for you!

There is something very cool about fishing in the am....taking a lunch break & siesta mid-day....and then fishing into the evening.

Cheers,
Lee